The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trident Series 80 "Fadex" fader mod question ???
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear
Trident Series 80 "Fadex" fader mod question ???

I've got a series 80 with 32 Fadex fader modules instead of the normal P & G ones that are usually on most 80(B)s in the channel strip section. The "Remix Master" fader is also one of these Fadex modules with an extremely antiquated "Allison Research" VCA style small PCB board with op amps. Connected to this via some mounts and screws on each module is the actual "Audio Fad" fader that is free of all this type of crap that I am not interested in. Like the P & G faders on the monitor section of this board, these Audio fad faders have 3 wires coming out of them that are soldered to some traces on the Fadex PCB. The Fadex PCBs plug into edge card connectors that are subsequently connected (via a long ribbon cable) thru each other module until the cable reaches the Master Fadex module.

My question is: can I simply clip the 3 wires that attach from each Audiofad fader to the Fadex PCB (with the VCA crap in it), and then connect those wires to the other wires coming from each Molex connector on the motherboard that corresponds to each channel strip PCB ? Sorry if the question sounds long winded, but i am not exactly a career tech and so i worded it as best i could.

Here is a link that shows the exact Fadex module and type AudioFad fader I am talking about: http://www.manualmanor.50megs.com/cg...dentFadex2.jpg

It appears that this Fadex module has the exact type mod I would like to do on all 32 of mine. Looks like they desoldered from the Fadex PCB the 3 wires coming from the Audiofad fader, and attached them to a molex connector. They say on that website that these modules were "updated" in 1995, so that's when i assume they were modded this way.

Can anyone with some Trident 80 knowledge shed some light on how I might go about doing this mod (if it is indeed possible with a series 80 motherboard) ???
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry, but you can't bypass the VCA board while using the original fader. Your faders are bound to have VCA tapers (or possibly linear tapers) on the tracks, and the VCA board converts the tracking to an audio (logarithmic) type taper.

If you try it, you'll probably find that you have lots of signal with the fader pushed up just slightly, and imroper tracking as you move the fader further up..

The fader that had it's board bypassed may have been converted to an audio taper fader, or maybe it was an experiment that didn't quite work out.

There's no harm in trying it though so if you're curious do one or two channels and see what happens.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kulka View Post
Sorry, but you can't bypass the VCA board while using the original fader. Your faders are bound to have VCA tapers (or possibly linear tapers) on the tracks, and the VCA board converts the tracking to an audio (logarithmic) type taper.

If you try it, you'll probably find that you have lots of signal with the fader pushed up just slightly, and imroper tracking as you move the fader further up..

The fader that had it's board bypassed may have been converted to an audio taper fader, or maybe it was an experiment that didn't quite work out.

There's no harm in trying it though so if you're curious do one or two channels and see what happens.

Thank you!

Maybe it's time just to get some Alps LOG faders and be done with it. They are $15 each at TridentAudioSpares.

I also have a connection for some SSL 5000 series faders that i could get for $10 each. I wonder if those could work for my Trident 80 ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search