The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ward Beck Power supply Utility Plugins
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Ward Beck Power supply

Greetings,
I've had alot of success racking up Neve and Telefunken modules with the standard +24V supplies, and have recently purchased a couple of Ward Beck Modules to do the same. The pinouts call for a +25v and -25v supply, and unfortunatly I haven't had much luck finding a WB supply for these. I would like to pick up something from mouser as I did for the other stuff, and while I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, I am unfamiliar with negative supplies. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Many thanks in advance!

SG
Old 6th September 2007
jdg
Lives for gear

i had to get a +/- supply for a pair of nuemanns EQs.

i bought two acopian ones (one for + and - ).. pissed me off, too much money.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

WB +/- 25V PS

Hey, There are a few good DIY schematics out there on the Net that you can Google up and download.... The only other information you need is how many Amps you will be drawing, based on either the number of modules and their individual amp draw OR if nothing else the Amp rating on the original Ward Beck Power Supply and how many modules did it power up VS how many you are powering up. You can find some pre packaged power supplies at mouser Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor However, this should be an easy build with the right components and a good DIY schematic. You should be able to base it on either a 26-CT-26 VAC Transformer or up to about a 30-CT-30 VAC Transformer (30-30 would need to use a +25V regulator and a -25V regulator with the correct amp rating). Center tap is used as ground source. I hope this helps a little.... BTW...Do you have either a schematic or purchase information on the +24V supply you used on the Neves? Getting ready to do a pair of Audix MXT 1200s... Thanks!
Take Care....
Shawn
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalmix56 View Post
Greetings,
I've had alot of success racking up Neve and Telefunken modules with the standard +24V supplies, and have recently purchased a couple of Ward Beck Modules to do the same. The pinouts call for a +25v and -25v supply, and unfortunatly I haven't had much luck finding a WB supply for these. I would like to pick up something from mouser as I did for the other stuff, and while I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, I am unfamiliar with negative supplies. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Many thanks in advance!

SG
Try this:

IHBB24-1.2

It's a +/-24 @1.2A. It's adjustable so you can turn it up to +/-25.

Just add fuse, power cord, chassis, and the appropriate DC power connector for your WB modules.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Most of the Ward Beck modules have on board regulation, so the 25 - 0 - 25 volts DC wouldn't need to be too accurate, or indeed even very smooth.

7824 and 7924 regulators are readily available and cheap and 24 volts is certainly near enough, but if you want to be more precise, pop a diode (or zener) in the leg of the regulator that normally goes directly to 0 volts to 'jack up' the output voltage.

This will give you a supply of up to 1.5 amps (dependant on your transformer of course) - which should be enough for several modules.

John
orchid-electronics.co.uk
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ward Beck details

Well, it looks like you already have some good information coming in. However, if you still have some reservations I would ask Dave Thomas.

[email protected]

I have a pair of Ward Beck pre's w/ EQ rack mounted by him and they are very nice. He knows his stuff and would most certainly know the details you require.
Old 7th September 2007
A couple of Power One 24 volt supplies will do fine, they are cheap and available from Digi-Key. Just reverse the negative one and go. Yes, they can be trimmed up to 25 volts.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

Hey thanks everybody, I certainly appreciate the feedback. I'll pick up that supply from mouser. We're just racking up two EQ units so I don't suspect it will be drawing much power. Shawn, I think I might have a schematic for our units, I got them off the ward beck preservation site. As far as the 24v supply, I build my own using an international power supply. It's an external unit, so I can locate it remotely, and has enough juice for 10 pre's.
Thanks again!

SG
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search