The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new xformer for my u99? make a difference? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

new xformer for my u99? make a difference?

i have had a u99 since they came out, it is my only tube ldc, and don't have any means of getting something else. so forget the GS standard response of get so and so...
last year i replaced the tube with a N.O.S. genalex gold lion from the late 50's and it blew my mind... the abrasive top end became beautiful and the low end lush. would changing the transformer to one of the new AMI tab funkenwerk ones make another big step up in the sound of my mic?
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

anytime you change the transformer in a mic the sound of the mic changes. Sometimes imperceptably, but usually some parameter changes. AMI does make excellent parts for the job, but you've already made the most important change, just make sure you keep some spare NOS EF86's around.
regards,
David Bock
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search