The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fixing dodgy channels in my Mackie VLZ-1642 Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Fixing dodgy channels in my Mackie VLZ-1642

Pretty much as soon as I bought my Mackie mixer a lot of the channels starting cutting in and out and then some stopped working at all.
It's def not a problem with any cables, I've ironed that out for sure.
Guessing it has something to do with dust in there.

So how do I go about fixing this myself? Do I need to open it up and use contact cleaner or something?

Cheers in advance,
Jonny
Old 4th September 2007

Contact Mackie. That might be one of the models where they used an IDC type ribbon cable for the busses.

If so, replacing it is the first thing I'd do.

-tINY

Old 12th September 2007
ktf
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=tINY;1476666][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=indigo]

Contact Mackie. That might be one of the models where they used an IDC type ribbon cable for the busses.

If so, replacing it is the first thing I'd do.

+1
Last I hear Mackie ribbons were up to Rev G. And we all hoped they finally got them right. There is also a problem with their switches and also the normaled inserts (1/4",back panel) Both the switches and the inserts could be sprayed out providing you use a solvent that doesn't melt the plastic!! A safe solvent is the lastest contact re-new & lube from Miller Stevens. But do try it out on a small area first. The pots will melt with many products including the earlier Miller Steven.Ribbon cables are checked by running signal thru a bad channel and moving the ribbons around with the back panel removed. Signal will pop back. You only have one shot at that because when the signal pops back it will stay until you really need it.
Ribbons come in sets...do change them all and watch that you orient them correctly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search