The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Power lines and RF interference or noise Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Power lines and RF interference or noise

Hello. I´m finally getting back to work on my studio !! Can an expert electrical engineer give me advice .......Please.....? The AC power line for the building my studio is in enters the building in the wall where my control room is going to be. I´ve attached two photos, one of the building from outside showing where the power line enters the building, and one of inside my control room where the circuit breaker box is going to be. Do you think I will get RF interference and noise from having the AC cable for this building go down the wall where my control room is ? The console will be about a meter and a half from this wall. I´m just wondering if I´m making a mistake by placing my audio equipment near where this cable goes into the building.. If RF could be a problem, could I place some type of metal sheet over the wall there to minimize RF noise ? (kinda like the idea of shielded speakers to protect them from monitors) I´m obviously not an electronics expert...hahahha so...any advice would be really appreciated !!! Thanks ! Luke
Attached Thumbnails
Power lines and RF interference or noise-outside-view.jpg   Power lines and RF interference or noise-control-room-inside.jpg  
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quick & dirty ham radio trick - walk around the area with a cheap AM radio tuned to a weak station. If you don't hear any noise, you should be ok.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

That looks a "bit too close for comfort" to me. I'd prefer to keeps the mains box at least 10 feet away from any audio equipment.

Also, do you have any analog tape recorders in your setup?

Bri
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

no analog tape decks.... just converters

Thanks for the replies... I figure the console will be like 5 feet from the wall where the circuit breaker box is.... One good thing, I just found out... is that the cable that goes down the wall from outside is only being used by one business besides me, and they only will be using lights.... very little electricity.... so maybe since the current will be small, there will not be such a problem with RF interference from the electrical cable. My setup will probably use less than 15 amps...
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Hopefully your equipment will be on a different circuit breaker from the lights at least, or preferably on a separate "leg" of the power drop if possible so that noise from dimmers, ballasts, etc. doesn't get back into your audio.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

gonna get a balanced power supply

I heard that a balanced power supply will help in terms of eliminating noise in the electrical instalation....so I´ll probably dish out for one of those.... but kinda wonder what will happen with my mic pre´s for example, in the console... will the power line going down the wall affect them . I will have the audio equipement, lights, and air conditioners on seperate circuits....
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

You should be fine then, if there's no huge load on that same line there probably won't be any noise caused by the power line.

I would consider reinforcing that wall somehow in case someday a crazed singer decides to throw a mic stand across the room and it magically punches through the wall and causes a short and a huge fire etc.

But then, after considering it, I would blow it off
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Make sure the screws are tight and the breakers well seated in the panel. I like to throw some electroseal conductive silicon paste (from electrical supply store - Oxguard or equivalent) under the screws and on the breaker blades to assure that there is no arcing, which is often the cause of noise.

If you can hear arcing outside on the pole (pretty common) when it has been dry for a while, call the utility and get them to clean the insulators/connections.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs View Post
I heard that a balanced power supply will help in terms of eliminating noise in the electrical instalation....so I´ll probably dish out for one of those.... but kinda wonder what will happen with my mic pre´s for example, in the console... will the power line going down the wall affect them . I will have the audio equipement, lights, and air conditioners on seperate circuits....
Balanced power will dramatically reduce all problems you mentioned.
Plus those lines are low voltage, not the 15Kv and above that really produce problems.
Magnetic fields from those will be very very low at that distance.
And if you will notice the service drop wires are twisted, this helps with noise.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search