The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rack XLR Patchbay...
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Rack XLR Patchbay...

Hi, for one of our portable racks I wan't to hook up an XLR patchbay. The rack contains a lot of mic amps and I want to plug mic cables straight in the front and patch between gear i.e. microphone > mic amp > EQ > compressor.

Will there be any loss of quality using the patchbay? Also any general advice on which connectors, cabling or maybe pre-made panels to use...

Much thanks
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt f View Post
Hi, for one of our portable racks I wan't to hook up an XLR patchbay. The rack contains a lot of mic amps and I want to plug mic cables straight in the front and patch between gear i.e. microphone > mic amp > EQ > compressor.

Will there be any loss of quality using the patchbay? Also any general advice on which connectors, cabling or maybe pre-made panels to use...

Much thanks
i have all my preamp inputs wired to three xlr panels in my patchbay. I haven't noticed any adverse effects. In fact, it is extremely useful.

I bought one premade panel and found it to be a waste of money.

Redco audio has prepunched panels that accept a variety of xlr panel mounted jacks. Just wire them up to the solder cups on the backs of the xlr jacks, then to xlr plugs on the other end and plug them into the pre's.

Bringing the room tie lines up on xlr panels in the PB makes the whole thing a breeze too. then it's just short xlr patch cables to route mics in the room to preamps in the control room.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks B, how come the premade patch panel was a waste of money...?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I use XLR patch panels in the back of my racks, mounted on short rails. My snakes, in & out, go into the panels, and then I connect the gear to the panels as suitable.

I bought a couple of the Hosa panels. They are flimsy, the connector wires very light and the soldering suspect, and the connectors are junk. They have one good aspect, in that it is easy to unscrew each pair of connectors to reverse them.

I have a Markertek unit which is much nicer but the connectors aren't reversable and it was very expensive.

I have one that I made using a prepunched panel and jacks and canare cut to length to Neutriks, and it is best of all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search