The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87ai cannot figure out. Condenser Microphones
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

U87ai cannot figure out.

My U87 works fine on any instruments that i mic with , however the problem i have is

1. vocals, it reminds me a of a sound you get when running low impedence into hi.
2. its distoted somewhat but in a good way, but still not pure and clean like a 414 etc.
3. for some reason I cannot hold it in my hand in the control room as in doing a mic check with out it going in and out on me,however outside the control it does not do this, yes i use monster cables.
4. anyone have any idea whats going on we this ?
5. also the mic sounds as its throwing off harmonics , like you would hear when a guitar amp bias is off but no where near that bad but enough to tell.
HELP !!!!!
I keep a eraser handy and keep my contacts clean.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have no idea what's wrong with your mic but posting in the High End or So Much Gear forum would be a better place to do so
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

From your description, it sounds like you have a bad Monster cable. Try a different microphone cable.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

My U87's are very sensitive to breath pressure. If I don't use a pop screen, especially holding it close to my mouth without a pop screen, the capsule will overload and cut in and out.

The U87 shouldn't be distorting under normal SPL.

Other issues you list, I can't envision what you're hearing. Maybe sound samples?

--Adam Lazlo
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
2. its distoted somewhat but in a good way, but still not pure and clean like a 414 etc.
3. for some reason I cannot hold it in my hand in the control room as in doing a mic check with out it going in and out on me,however outside the control it does not do this, yes i use monster cables.
Agreed. You have a bad cable my friend. If not something is shorting inside the box.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
It could be a number of things. The diaphram could be stretched so that it bottoms out, causing distortion and other anomalies. You could have bad capacitors in the circuit. There could be a dirty connection at the mic connector, especially if it's one of the connectors with the built in switch. And on and on and...
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

What im really freaking out about is ( and no im not using the mic to record something in the control room) when the mic is plugged up to ANY cable and to ANY preamp i get strange noise as in white noise and all sorts of wicked circuit sounds , I do not get this when using outside the control room. Is it all the rack gear, wiring etc or something else ? NO other mic does this in the control room.

Thanks for your help
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
What im really freaking out about is ( and no im not using the mic to record something in the control room) when the mic is plugged up to ANY cable and to ANY preamp i get strange noise as in white noise and all sorts of wicked circuit sounds , I do not get this when using outside the control room. Is it all the rack gear, wiring etc or something else ? NO other mic does this in the control room.

Thanks for your help
Try switching your pad switch and or hi pass filter, I've had similar problems with my U87 and I think a resistor went bad in the pad switch so I just can't use the mic with the pad switch on untill i fix the mic. Any way it sounds like something in the mic has gone bad more than likely a resistor. But also a very common problem with U87's is they don't like Switch Craft XLR plugs and will sometimes not work with SwitcCraft plugs so use a mic cable with Neutrik.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemusician3 View Post
Try switching your pad switch and or hi pass filter, I've had similar problems with my U87 and I think a resistor went bad in the pad switch so I just can't use the mic with the pad switch on untill i fix the mic. Any way it sounds like something in the mic has gone bad more than likely a resistor. But also a very common problem with U87's is they don't like Switch Craft XLR plugs and will sometimes not work with SwitcCraft plugs so use a mic cable with Neutrik.
Thanks guys, i wll try that and see if it works, then i will know where to go from there.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear
Use an ohm meter to verify that the xlr ground pin and the case ground of the mic are connected together. If not, that could be the cause of your interference, which will be higher in your control room, especially if you've got a computer and CRT in there.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

mic

Over the years I did many records and try a multitude of mic/preamp combinations. I love using some microphones of my personal collection; U87, C414, C12, C48, C38, etc. Did you try to use a good dynamic microphone on your vocal which many time fix the problem; SM58/58, RE20.

JF
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLazlo View Post
My U87's are very sensitive to breath pressure. If I don't use a pop screen, especially holding it close to my mouth without a pop screen, the capsule will overload and cut in and out.

The U87 shouldn't be distorting under normal SPL.

Other issues you list, I can't envision what you're hearing. Maybe sound samples?

--Adam Lazlo
pop screen worked perfect, my only other issue is that the u87 sounds better on a figure 8 (either side) than just using the single side, figure 8 seemd like it had more lows and much tigher, single side is like it has a little over ring to it sightly hollow sounding...none of my other mics sound like this 414, c3000, GT66, NT2 , AE3000, Ribbons, 990 etc, the u87 sounds the same no matter what pre i use as far as the issues im having.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Guru

one more BUMP !!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search