The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
output transformer advice Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

output transformer advice

I'm looking for a 600:600 output transformer to add a little colour to a DIY preamp module i have sitting in my rack currently.

i am after something well suited to drums/percussion, and im not afraid of thick gooey colour.

price isnt so important, as long as i can get it to the UK.

any help at all would be appreciated, as ive had a good look round, but its a real minefield

thanks!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I just bought a pair of Triad HS-66 transformers. I can't really attest to their sound since I haven't recieved them yet, but I've heard good things.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

ah, thanks for that!

where did you order them from?

if it helps at all, im after something in the vein of API, although i know this is all to do with op-amps, layout etc, it would be nice to know ive got the transformers in there doing their thing
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi
Look at Sowter (available direct) and Lundahl, available from Canford Audio.
Both can supply very good transformers.
Websites for both give loads of information.
Matt S
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

The triads I got on Ebay. they're old transformers. I got them for these spectrasonix modules I have... probably would have looked into sowters or lundahl, if the HS-66 was not the transformer originally used in those modules.

I have used lundahl transformers and they are quite nice too.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi
If you are interested in experimentation you could consider units that would deliberately saturate early, by picking a model that is only intended for say +10dBu maximum and then driving it hard, with an attenuator afterwards if it is still too hot for the following input. Getting a unit with several primaries and secondaries would allow even more experimentation with adjustment of drive and attenuation and the different ratios.
Another source are OEP, available at Farnell / RS components.
Matt S
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Edcor seems to have a Euro distributor:

EDCOR Electronics Corporation - Audio Transformer & Equipment Manufacture

Here in the USA, Edcor is the "champ" for value.

Bri
Old 31st August 2007
Jensen JT-11.

It's good enough for my Audio Precision analyzer, it does 2 mhz. It takes +30 dbm. It's expensive, but worth it.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 1st September 2007

I'd recommend the Sowter 8403, works well with most output stages. The Lundahls can be tricky to get right if they are driven from a relatively high source impedance, and you can easily end up with a +10dB boost at 50Hz! However, they do sound rather nice once you get them flat.

Tim.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Jensen JT-11.

It's good enough for my Audio Precision analyzer, it does 2 mhz. It takes +30 dbm. It's expensive, but worth it.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

I think the poster is looking for a xformer to add color & mojo. The Jensen's are too clean for that.
Old 1st September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince @ speck View Post
I think the poster is looking for a xformer to add color & mojo. The Jensen's are too clean for that.
Yeah I know, I tried.

Clean iron just has a sweet sound I like. It's sort of a cross between the ultra clear reality thing and a polished turd. They are great on percusion which is why I suggested them.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Well , then there is the nickle /Iron debate right ?
As far as the transformers altering the sonic qualities of a circut , would the input transformer do more or the output , as far as " coloration" is concerned ?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevermil View Post
Well , then there is the nickle /Iron debate right ?
As far as the transformers altering the sonic qualities of a circut , would the input transformer do more or the output , as far as " coloration" is concerned ?
Depends on the transformer.
I use the JT-16B for the input on the JM-130 pre, and depending on "Sound" someone is after will use either an iron core or nickel core for warm or clean on the output.
The JT-16 has very high input dynamic range, no pad is needed, and has low distortion.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

wow, thanks a lot guys, i will check into all of your suggestions now.

the pre at the moment is a super clean, super low noise, flat freq response transformerless design. im bascailly looking to try and add some 'punch', 'mojo' and 'colour' to it if i can i guess!
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I read a thread once were it was suggested to wire the transformers onto trs connectors and use them on the inserts. If it's a diy project, wire in some inserts on the pre and start experimenting. I plan on trying this as soon as I reach that point in my studio progression. That way your not stuck with what you choose. Mabye some of the others will tell us how to do it, I have not had the time to figure it out yet. The main issue I see is that inserts are unbalanced and transformers usually are not.

Brian
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Some larger consoles such as MCI 600, Sony MXP3036 have 600 to 600 ohm transformers in the patch bay to float or isolate equipment.
Having them on inserts would be about the same.
Use them when needed.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Thats actually a better idea. If I patch them into my patchbay I could use them before the console channel or between the console and the recorder. If I put them before the console I would imagine I would need a pre before the transformer, otherwise just use it on the insert, still pre fader.

Brian
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search