The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Computer software for equipment repair business
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Computer software for equipment repair business

hello fellow geeks,

I've been debating the idea of going into business for myself doing electronics repair work.

I've worked in a few different repair shops, but both were small, and the repair busniness was part of the music shop, and certainly not the focus.

in the two shops I've worked at, I was always frustrated with the lack of organization.

I am wondering if any of you are using software to keep track of your parts inventory, customer history, repair status, and other such things.
in the past I've done this with pen and paper, file cabinets, and in the formentioned state of disorganization. when things get crazy busy and you have a long line of repairs, it can be difficult to keep track of 7 different marshalls that are in on repair.

so...I found that was not a reliable way to run things, parts would often be in short supply when I needed them most, backordered parts or other delays might cause an amp to it sit around far too long, and this always led to some level of customer dissatisfaction.
obviously I'd like to avoid this. Do any of you have experience with Software, or do you have other methods you use? I'd love to hear about them.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I should mention that I am more comfortable on a Mac than a PC.
Old 30th August 2007
rtx
Here for the gear

Hi,

this is a great list of business-oriented mac software:
30 Apps to Run your Business By - The Apple Blog

it sounds like this may be a good place for you to start:
Oranged.net Software - Studiometry

If you have a little tech/database savvy, you could always buy a copy of Filemaker (database software, makes it easy to build databases) and build yourself a small custom solution. It's really not that hard to do, especially if your needs are somewhat modest and you're willing to do a little learning.

If you can find something prepackaged that meets your needs - and Studiometry may well - it can be more efficient to use that.

Good luck

Last edited by rtx; 30th August 2007 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: corrected misspelling of "database"
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

thanks rtx. looks like some promising stuff. anyone else?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search