The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Potentiometer replacement question
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear
Potentiometer replacement question

I'm fixing a Hughes and Kettner guitar amp where someone (me) drunkenly cranked one of the knobs too hard and now it spins and spins with no change to the control value.

H&K is extremely slow at getting back to me regarding schems or tech questions, so my question here is this: The broken pot is a PCB mount slotted head control with "DY A47K" printed on the back. Does this mean that it's a 47K pot? If so, I should be able to use a 50K with not much of an issue, correct?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
I'm fixing a Hughes and Kettner guitar amp where someone (me) drunkenly cranked one of the knobs too hard and now it spins and spins with no change to the control value.

H&K is extremely slow at getting back to me regarding schems or tech questions, so my question here is this: The broken pot is a PCB mount slotted head control with "DY A47K" printed on the back. Does this mean that it's a 47K pot? If so, I should be able to use a 50K with not much of an issue, correct?
47k sounds a little unusual for a pot value which in my experience were typically 50k for that range, but who knows.? In many cases even though the wiper contact is broken you may still be able to measure the total pot resistance between the end leads, unless the substrate is cracked or broken. "A" is also a standard naming convention for audio taper. So perhaps 47k audio taper, or not.

JR
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear
It's for the distortion channel's gain control, if that makes any difference.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search