The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
16 Ramsa Preamps into a Rackmount Box
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

16 Ramsa Preamps into a Rackmount Box

I've got a WRS-4416 (16 channels)Panasonic Ramsa Mixer. I really like the preamps but I just don't have the room for it and I'm mixing in the box now anyways. I was thinking of mounting all the preamps in a rackmount box.

I know how to solder and thats about it. I don't know that much about the components inside and how exactly I can use only the preamp circuits and power supply(maybe).

Anyone have any experience doing something like this (gutting a mixer).

Any suggestions/links would be very much appreiciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a company/person that could do this in the Atlanta area that would be great also.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Hill Audio console sitting in my carport that I bought for a song, and been thinking of doing this. Every time I walk by it, I sigh.

It's not that hard if the console is in strips. It's a pain if you have to completely disassemble everything and reconfigure. Maybe not worth it for a Ramsa.

If they are in strips, at the simplest it just means you have to find the in, the out, and the power and solder connectors.

Make sure everything is grounded properly. Star-ground each board if you are ganging them in a rack (ground each individually to a common rather than in series)

I'm sure there are people here who'd help once you got started. Sometimes it's easier to get help if it looks like you've created a mess. People get sympathetic.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh, and you have to make sure the insert or send/return points are bridged.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search