The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland XP30 One Key Not Sending Note Message Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Roland XP30 One Key Not Sending Note Message

hi guys

i bought an xp30 a couple of years ago and never really used it so it's pretty much brand new.

i want to sell it and was testing it yesterday and there's one key that's not sending a note message. on my motu 828MKII i can see it's receiving midi message (one light flashes) so that is detected and when played through speakers then the sound comes through but specifically it doesn't send a 'note' message.

does anybody have any idea how i can resolve this without having to send it in to be repaired.

thanks in advance
grant
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

sorry guys, have to bump this as it's quite urgent
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

I might shed some light...

Grant, I used to do keyboard repairs for a music store. most of those Roland boards use similar key switch arrangements. Basically, there is usually a neoprene
membrane switch pad that has 2 sets of contacts. The note velocity is determined by the amount of time between contact closures. If one of the contact "nipples" is mis aligned or contaminated (beer) there is no measurement and no valid key press registered. Since you see midi activity, the note may be generating the minimum volume level with only one pad registering. So, open it up and check the contact pads for that note.
Hope that helps!

Geoff
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Hold that thought...

I re-read your question and noticed you were hearing sound on that note, which would indicate that your key bed is probably OK.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatChanzStudios View Post
I re-read your question and noticed you were hearing sound on that note, which would indicate that your key bed is probably OK.
thanks so much for your reply PhatChanzStudios, much appreciated. so you reckon i could easily take it apart and just clean the area? will it be hard to put back together? i'm not a techie so don't want to screw it up

wish me luck
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search