The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
speaker sofets Studio Monitors
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

speaker sofets

My room isn't big enough to accommodate moving the speakers away from the wall. I am thinking there are some pratical solutions to somewhat remedy this. I am going to invest in some room tuning and I was thinking that it would maybe be good to build some sofets for the mains. yes - no?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

what monitors you have?
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Westlake Audio BBSM-6
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll play too.

HR824s
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have seen some monitor makers us a foam surround that you place around the front of the box....Looks weird but maybe there is something to it.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

You say the room is small so to sofit mount will also take the space up..

You maybe should look at just getting some bass traps in there..They will take less space and are a much easy thing to get made or even buy..

That will stop any Audio interference in the low end.With the bass traps in you can have the speaker as flat against the as you like...

Probably the best for you...Sofet mounting is normally for Large (ok Huge) speakers and for studios that have more than enough space to sacrifice...You Have none of them so i say go for bass traps...

hope its helps in anyway,,,

Jun
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

a bbsm6 is rather small to be soffit mounting.
what exactly are you trying to remedy / achieve
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

There is a black hole on my right monitor that is sucking the general presence out. I seem to have a war with that monitor to keep it forward in the mix. My room is not a rectangle but has a bunch of different 45 degree angles on one side and a normal 90 on the right. The back wall has a open window into the living/tracking room. There is a bass null in the mix position and I am constantly walking around the room searching for the truth. I have run room analysis software at mix position and tried to tweek it flat with EQ the results were horrible - probably do to phasing. I guess I need help with my odd room, or maybe just start throwing traps around until things sound better? Where would you start?
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

replicate the 45 degree stuff on the other side.

also, a soffit wont gain any space like they say.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear
Until you do something to make your listening space symmetrical from left to right, you will be fighting a losing battle. Whatever space you have to eat up to make it symmetrical, use for holding equipment (racks, computers, etc.).
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Boy, symmetry is hard to achieve in this room but I have thought along those lines too. I would imagine that I could achieve front and side and leave the back to the 45degree mess. That would probably be better wouldn't it? There is no space to replicate the 45's on the other side and it's complicated by the underside of a stair well. The best solution is to build a wall in front of all that stuff but that would start to mess up the asthetics of the house and therefore my wife's good will. AND I would have to remove THE BAR!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search