The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
peluso capsules in the v67 Condenser Microphones
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

peluso capsules in the v67

Hey all

IM wondering whats the difference between the " CEK-367 ("Neumann") Style
34 mm Double Sided" capsule and the
"CEK-89 ("Neumann") Style
32 mm Double(or single i take it as they are the same) Sided" capsule and what difference they would have if i modified my v67g.

and would it be the best thing i could do it increase sound quality or sohould i look at replacing the capacitors as well?

i know the sound will become richer with a caps replacement, so its all good and well, but im wondering what difference in sound will be if the capsule is replaced and what are the differences are in the 2 capsules

thanks
Doc
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Have you replaced or removed the transformer yet? That seems to be the biggest source of coloration in the V67. Some people like it for certain things, but if you're looking for objective improvement, that would be the place to start. You can replace all of the electronics, like with the Scott Dorsey mod, or I suppose you could figure out how to just put a better transformer in there - but that's going to depend on finding a good replacement that will fit in the space available. I'm sure it can be and has been done. In fact, I have a vague recollection of reading about it here somewhere.
As for the Scott Dorsey mod, the easiest method might just be to buy a V57 to replace your V67. I bought a pair of V57 with the intention of modding them, and they already had the same basic circuit in them. Funny thing is, MXL introduced them at the exact same time that Scott's article was published in Recording Magazine. But if you'd rather mod your own mike, dig up the back-issue of Recording (January 2002) and get the parts list and contact info. I'm sure Scott still has the circuitboards, but I don't know if he's still spending his time filling orders. You should also read his article in the Sept 2001 issue that discusses these mikes more thoroughly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search