The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar through mic multi cable
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Guitar through mic multi cable

Can I use one channel of a Mogami multicable (which is already running between my CR and iso booth) as a guitar line, between the guit and the amp, if I solder the two leads together thus making it only shield + lead ?

Or do I need a dedicated guitar cable ?

I moved in to a new place where no guitar lines are built in and I'm trying to find a way to avoid drilling another hole in the iso booth wall. Thanx.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Actually, you could plug one of these Shure - Accessories - A85F Line Matching Transformer in there from the guitar, creating a balanced send. No soldering needed.

Best, Paul
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

You need two DI's!

Strongly recommend impedance matching. Whenever I use my studio wiring for guitar signals I have two identical passive (transformer) DI's, one at each end, the other connected in reverse of course. They need to be high quality gear!

That works really well, especially if there's one or several stomp boxes at the guitar end to beef up the signal a bit before going into the DI.

Martin
PS: My wiring is Mogami too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search