The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 2048-4096 stage BBDs? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Best 2048-4096 stage BBDs?

I'm looking at building a device that will need a few BBD delay lines (parallel) that will have up to 200-300ms of delay per line. I'm working on a new product, so I'd prefer to not talk details too much. I don't need really to get above 8kHz.

Anyways, I need some BBD chips that will help achieve this. There's some 1024 stage BBDs, but I don't think that they would work so great, as there's not enough stages to have a decent delay.

Any affordable, but good sounding BBD chips available?

The MN3005 looks to be nice, but expensive (~25 each and I think I might need 3 of them in what i'm building). Also was looking at the MN3205.

Also, (i'm making another post about this) but does anyone here that does circuit design wanting to do a bit of consulting for me? I'm working on this project and have some great ideas, and a pretty good idea of how to implement them. I've never done PCB design however, and there's going to be some things that I will learn through trial-and-error, but I'd prefer to pay someone a bit to look over my stuff for me to prevent early errors.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Is there some reason why you want to use BBDs? That technology is a few decades old.

You might be able to generate a few parallel delay paths in digital domain with similar performance for much less money.

Back in the '70's BBD was a relatively good way to make delay, in 2007, digital A/D - memory- D/A probably cheaper and better.

Perhaps with cheap DSP do much of the crunching in code.

JR

PS: No I'm not looking for something to do, but I did publish a kit article in Popular Electronics about a BBD based audio delay back in 1976.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, partially to let the cat out of the bag, I'm building a guitar pedal (well at first a guitar pedal, and then a modular rack module, then a 1U rack delay), based on BBDs. There's twist (and a rather large one that I'd like to reveal soon, but just want to do it in an organized manner)

The reason that I've decided to go with BBDs is the same reason that people go with tubes on a few things, but I've thought them out pretty well. One of which being that in a boutique guitar pedal market, I feel that a handmade pedal based on BBDs will be much better in the market.

I do know that (rather like the tube) they are outdated technology that's rarely/no longer made in mass numbers as they were. Panasonic stopped making the MN series of chips to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not looking for the absolute 'better', but rather the best for this market.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search