The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
12BZ7's in a Dual Compressor?
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

12BZ7's in a Dual Compressor?

I'm basically looking to experiment, trying different toobs for change in tone/coloration/character...not looking for transparency (obviously).

Would a high-mu toob like this in a comp add any beneficial attributes? Obviously I will get a tonal difference, as I stated...but will it help or harm otherwise?

The comp (Bellari RP583) came with 12AX7's.
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Am I the only one that likes to play with toobies?

...I mean, bubes?

...wait...

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

How do you like the sound of your 583 and are you using the stock tubes?
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

I was actually surprised at the versatility of this compressor. It is far better than some compressors I have heard 2-4 times more expensive...and definitely one of two that I wouldn't be without for the price (other being RNC).

I am using the stock toobs, which are 4 years old...thus the advent of experimentation.

Recommended? Yes.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxoussone View Post
I was actually surprised at the versatility of this compressor. It is far better than some compressors I have heard 2-4 times more expensive...and definitely one of two that I wouldn't be without for the price (other being RNC).

I am using the stock toobs, which are 4 years old...thus the advent of experimentation.

Recommended? Yes.

Cool, never heard of the 12B7's but I think alot of people use NOS 5751 (12Ax7) or Mullards, Telefunken, etc...

Check out this site, they have a great selection.

Vacuum tubes @ thetubestore. New and NOS electron tubes for any amplifier.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

The 12BZ7 is a step up from the 12AX7, and can be installed with no modification.

In guitar amps, when replacing the 12AX7 with a 12BZ7, a significant increase in headroom is usually noted. It is an old trick for overdiving toob amps.

So, yeah, wondering how it might work in a pre or a comp...guess I'll find out for myself and report back.heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search