The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What kind of caps are these?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear
Brian M. Boykin's Avatar
What kind of caps are these?

Hey all,

The caps I'm wondering about are white rectangle and square type caps. I have seen these in some other gear but not in large amounts. They have letter and number markings on top and on the front, as well as a rectangle with a triangle cut out of it. I have not seen these in my research of different cap types. What do I replace them with? I have the schems and a reference paper for decoding the numbers on the front; have'nt taken the time to see if their in the signal path yet, although they are physically in the eq area of the channel.


Old 17th August 2007
Those are cheap polyester film or metal film caps. Yes, they suck for audio. Yes, they use the 5mm pin spacing. Yes, you can replace them with Wima MKP-2 or FKP-2 polypropylene film caps. Yes, those will sound much better.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread Starter / Forum
alexstringer / So much gear, so little time
Amadeuz / Geekslutz forum
axisdreamer / Geekslutz forum
nathanvacha / Geekslutz forum

Forum Jump
Forum Jump