The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
valve makeover
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

valve makeover

i've got a tl audio 5052 which i'm very fond of, but if i were to swap out the cheapo sovtek 12ax7wa s for something a bit spicy like an old mullard, would i hear any significant?
also, i do use my art pro mpa which i've seen is not popular here - it's useful just to put something analogue-y back into keyboard dis etc - regularly gets used in clipping mode for my analogue synths.
anyway, would it be a worthwhile expense to revalve these puppies? and if so, any recommendations as to which valves? with the tla i'm looking to do the best impression of a universal audio box possible. the art can be a bit weird, a bit raunchy.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

The MPA is not popular here? News to me, I always see good comments about it. Anyway, just did a search and found these for you:

ART MPA GOLD ALTERNATIVES?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
I just got an MPA gold and put NOS Mullard 12AT7's in it, sounds sweeeet. I'll post some clips pretty soon, I did some A/B tests with the stock tubes vs. the NOS Mullards. I don't think you'll regret buying this pre, very nice and very flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th_note
Interesting - that's exactly what I've got. I'm very pleased with the sound I get out of my MPA Gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by river
Changing the tubes can greatly change the tone. I have 3 of the Pro MPA's, all 3 have different model tubes. The 12DF7's are dark and smooth, low noise and low gain, great for vocals. The 12AT7's are more midrangey, in your face. The good 12AX7's I rolled are smoother in the top end with a greater sense of air to them than the stock tubes. For practical purposes, they're 3 completely different pres.
Art MPA GOLD 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie c
Got one... LOVE IT...

My only advice to you is ...the second you open the box, take the top off, remove the 5 dollar chinese tubes...and replace with 2 Telefunken ECC83/12ax7a tubes , and u will be in business..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick
I have been pretty impressed with the ART Digital MPA. No S**t. I heard about them on this forum, so I bought one and switched the tubes to Tung Sol 12x's and it sounds incredibly silky on the top in on vocals. On full mix it sounds great when you hit the tubes pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio9
The Art MPA is a steal (when you add the Mullard 12AT7) It sounds great!
(plus dozens of other threads saying the same things - it's great, and swap the tubes)

Harder to find threads about swappng tubes in the 5052 (couldn't figure out a useful search term), but I'm sure that would also be beneficial.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

thanks for that - i reckon i'll try the 12at7s in the art, and maybe telefunken 12asx7s in the tl audio.
nice to see i'm not the only one with a fondness for the pro mpa as well

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search