The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Repairing Adam Audio A8X
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Repairing Adam Audio A8X

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here, but I've been frequenting the forums for a few years now. I am also fairly new at owning studio monitors.

I recently came across a pair of Adam A8x monitors and I am going to attempt to fix them. The pair of monitors that I have powers on, sound only comes from the tweeter, although it isn't as loud as a normal speaker is. There are no sound coming from both of the woofers. At a glance the woofers seems intact and doesn't seem to have any physical tear. When playing music and depressing the woofers they are no vibrations or sound. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to proceed with troubleshooting the monitors? So far I've read that I could check the impedance of the woofers with a multimeter, when I attempted to check the woofers I didn't get any readings from it, just OL on the meter no matter which sensitivity used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Contrary to what you've read, you can't check the impedance of the woofers or tweeters with a multimeter on the resistance setting...you need to use an impedance meter for that. When you put a multimeter on a good voice coil, all it sees is a piece of wire, and shows you close to zero ohms. On the other hand, if the wire is burnt through, and there is no longer continuity, the meter shows infinite resistance. Guess what...
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple_fx1 View Post
Contrary to what you've read, you can't check the impedance of the woofers or tweeters with a multimeter on the resistance setting...you need to use an impedance meter for that. When you put a multimeter on a good voice coil, all it sees is a piece of wire, and shows you close to zero ohms. On the other hand, if the wire is burnt through, and there is no longer continuity, the meter shows infinite resistance. Guess what...
Hello ripple_fx1, thank you for replying. Yeah the meter shows OL, so that means the woofer has a served connection as there is no continuity. Is it possible to repair these woofer?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

If you live in a major metropolitan area, there is likely to be a shop that does speaker re-coning, and a sound and lighting equipment rental shop will know who they are. If their price to repair them is anywhere close to the price of brand new woofers, help a professional stay in business and keep repairable equipment out of the landfill.
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
If you live in a major metropolitan area, there is likely to be a shop that does speaker re-coning, and a sound and lighting equipment rental shop will know who they are. If their price to repair them is anywhere close to the price of brand new woofers, help a professional stay in business and keep repairable equipment out of the landfill.
Thanks again for your reply. I will definitely look for a speaker repair place, I'm in NYC. Do you by chance know if Adam offers to repair woofers for a price? I went ahead and contacted them about this issue, no reply yet.
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Not quite true. An 8 ohm speaker will "normally" read about 5.6 ohms and not "close to zero ohms" FWIW
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

One place that I contacted said the speaker can't be recone and it would cost 220 for replacement, at the same place they also have rebuilt speakers which is odd. Another place here in NYC dbm said they said they can fix it by reconing it but they are not doing any service right now due to covid, but they plan on starting to service equipment in 2 weeks. Does any one know if it's possible to buy reconing kits for these woofers? I've looked but nothing comes up for Adam Audio, is there another kit that is compatible to use with these woofers that I could buy and recone them myself?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So an update, I was able to recone the speakers myself, along with salvaging the carbon fiber cone, surround, and dust cap . Now I have to work on the cabinets.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear