The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Full Audio building kits available somewhere?
Old 16th September 2020
Full Audio building kits available somewhere?

Doe's anyone know of any full audio kit building companies out there? I recall one called PCB Grinder but are there others? Easy build SSL mix bus or that type of thing..?
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

yes, most of the kit business requires a bit more from you than just the paint-by-numbers type soldering and assembly
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
yes, most of the kit business requires a bit more from you than just the paint-by-numbers type soldering and assembly
I saw your video and was inspired. I make jewelry as a hobby and solder nitrogen analyzers at work. I feel confident that I could do it. Plus, I'm in no hurry to finish
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

..off course you can do it, the main component you need to add yourself is patience and persistence.

There is this giant help thread over at groupdiy that covers every and all error you can make while building it. Usually in more than one version per error. Bonus points if you can come up with a problem that hasn't been seen and solved before

It's always a good idea to read loosely through the help thread before starting, to avoid the most common mistakes

/Jakob E.
Old 18th September 2020
I would like to partner up with someone who can help me take circuit designs from existing units, then implement them all into a single console. That comes un assembled. Just parts and a schematic. I can assemble, i just need help with the circuitry designing bit. Or getting all the individual circuits flowing as one. If you follow what im saying.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So you're basically looking for someone to design a DIY-project for you?

/Jakob E.
Old 4 weeks ago
What I would like is for someone to help me make my ideas into reality. Or to tell me what I am saying is not worth the time or effort.

I am not an electrical engineer/circuit designer. I have only just scratched the surface of calculus. I am educating myself on the matter, but i will not be able to make my ideas come to life tomorrow, if know what I mean. I however do know how to solder/other constructive skills and I do have a vision of an end product.

What is the difference between assembling a circuit you design, compared to building a circuit someone else designed based off your idea?

What am I missing, or whats wrong with my logic why or why isnt this plausible? For an idea that i have of: this preamp circuit with this compressor circuit, with this eq circuit connected to aux, pan, faders, with some routing options.

Each channel strip fully modular, preferebly no SMD.

At some point it all gets put onto schematic. I want to be able to read that schematic/blueprint and assemble that idea.

So essentially I want someone to make a design based off my idea. Then I would go about assembling. Yes.
Is this foolish/wishful thinking?

This could be private matter of course. Doesnt have to go commercial scale.

But i just figured that this task is on par with what engineering is all about. Being able to take an idea and make it reality.

Companies are reseacrching and developing new product all the time. Why cant it just be for a product that has features I specifically want?

For example, I would be enthralled if an automobile company manufacted a vehicle with older style internals housed within a brand new shell. Think a 1994 chevy 350Tbi motor/drivetrain in a brand spankin 2021 silverado body. It'd be easier to work on, easier to diagnose, compared to modern auto technologies, but yet still has the modern look. In my opinion, they try to shove way too many features and add ons into something that I would rather not pay extra to have, which leaves me with limited choice.

Although this might be the nature of the game.

Maybe what I am looking for is a modular 500 desk. But at the same time I feel that might be kinda redundant and raise material costs if i know specificaly what pres, comps, eqs etc I would want. It would seem to make more sense just to get all those onto one modular channel strip.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Buying a well designed kit will always be cheaper and better looking than starting from scratch with an unknown design. And you say you have no electronics experience.
IF IT IS SO EASY, EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT!!
Look at the available 500 designs and just build some. You will get experience and understand that it is not a trivial task.
Old 4 weeks ago
Alrighty.
The designs i want to implement already exist, if they can be inproved upon, thats all the better. I just want to put them all into one frame. That exist as one console.
I understand this will not be an easy feat.

Theres also this idea I wanted to test out was to get a couple of those diy recording circuit boards and somehow upgrade the existing internals of a budget mixer.

Who makes a well designed console kit?
Old 4 weeks ago
Re-inverting wheels can be expensive. Designers are expensive. PCB layout guys are expensive, so are pcb's parts and assembly is very expensive here unless it's all auto assembly.

Once you add up the costs the insanity ratio becomes apparent. When you figure out the most successful did it without that hard road you may re-consider.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I shut down my audio kit business (Phoenix Systems) back in the 80s when the market economics changed (anyone remember Heath Kit?). Back in the day we built kits to get some functional product for less cost because we supplied the assembly labor. I outfitted my test bench with a Heathkit scope, Heathkit distortion analyzer, etc.

I knew the game was over when I could buy a commercial version of one of my audio product kits for less than I had to spend for parts. Back then the price compression was driven by large scale automated assembly, and offshore manufacturing (Japan back then). Engineers designed out the labor content using machine assembly, and what little labor was left was done by low priced labor in distant lands. Now with the rise of Chinese manufacturing and SMD technology the economics of kit selling is even worse.

There are still a few niche kit businesses selling educational or narrow interest kits. Back during the kit selling heyday, companies like Heathkit were selling $100M per year, and the market supported multiple kit competitors.

Sorry things change...

JR
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukey View Post
Doe's anyone know of any full audio kit building companies out there? I recall one called PCB Grinder but are there others? Easy build SSL mix bus or that type of thing..?
I'm responding to my own message here. I stumbled across this company, hairball audio. https://www.hairballaudio.com/
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear