The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
reel to reel transport question
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear

reel to reel transport question

I hope I landed at the right place. I have some machine shop experience and would like to make my own tape transport for NAB reels. I can get parts from dead decks, reel motors, switches, brakes. what I do not have is the drive set. I do have a 2 speed capstan motor which I tached at 900/1800 rpm. what I need to know is what size pulley to machine, flywheel diameter to machine, what capstan diameter to machine to yield the standard ips of 3.75/7.5. can anyone provide me with these specific dimensions? and the associated rpm's of flywheel and capstan? the specific dimensions are not too important as long as the required ips is reached. I can machine whatever is needed including the bushing to hold the capstan. all help, links, sources welcome. unfortunately no maker provides this info. personal sources welcome. thanks.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

I'm sure there are pictures out there to copy from.

Don't underestimate the details going into such work - many, many "real" commercial companies has tried building their own tape mechanics during the 60'es and 70'es, only VERY few got away with it in a decent way.

And oh, for pro audio you probably don't want 3.75/7.5 but 15/30 ips. The slow ones are for home use and hifi. And for matching your RPM to IPS, I don't think you'll need anything but pi.

/Jakob E.

Last edited by gyraf; 7th August 2020 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: 3.1415926535
Old 7th August 2020
Find an old Ampex or Scully or MCI tape deck and refurbish it. A lot less work and all the hard decisions as to the dimensions have already been made. Best of luck!
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Agree.

Add to the list, if Europe is region for OP:

Revox/Studer/Ferrograph/Lyrec

/Jakob E.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear