The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Help Choosing A Keyboard
Old 7th August 2020
Need Help Choosing A Keyboard

Hey all,

I need suggestions and what to purchase. Price range $500-$600 and probably used to get the most bang.

I played when I was a kid but in recent years only dabbled a little. And I do mean a little. I have a coordinated right hand but really don't know more than a simple tune like "Let It Be".

So I'd like a weighted keyboard, decent piano, organ, strings, and synth sound akin to "Band On The Run".

I don't want a heavy keyboard.

Should I get a synth keyboard or a controller and midi sound module?

I believe a band mate a few years back had a Roland RD500?? That seemed to have enough sounds in it but I'm not entirely sure about the model number.

Thanks !!
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Note: A lot of what follows is opinion and suggestion, not absolute unquestionable truth. Please take it as such.

I suppose "heavy" is relative, but a weighted keybed will be heavier than a synth-action keybed, for rather obvious reasons. Synthesizer (as opposed to digital piano) keyboards with weighted hammer-action keys are about as rare as hen's teeth; semi-weighted keys are a little more common, but the feel is definitely different. It's not too hard to get adept at playing on most any halfway good keyboard even if it doesn't have an ideal touch or feel. That said, I do like using a hammer action weighted keybed myself, even for non-piano sorts of sounds.

I think your ideal keyboard might be something along the lines of a Nord Stage or Nord Electro, but they're likely well above your price rage even used. One never knows when a screaming good deal might pop up, though.

More reasonably priced are a great many various stage pianos or digital pianos. There are many models by a fair few makers that offer decent piano (acoustic and electric), organ, and string/pad sounds; more purely synth sorts of things are often a little weaker. Such a keyboard can be used to control a synth module if needed, though without a pitch bend or mod wheel in most cases.
Old 7th August 2020
Any opinion on a Kurzweil K2000VP or K2000S ?
Old 8th August 2020
Given the rarity of weighted key synths it seems like I'd be better off getting a weighted keyboard controller and sound module.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Gorquin; 8th August 2020 at 02:55 PM..
Old 11th August 2020
Any suggestions?
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear