The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Taking apart an AKG D310
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

Taking apart an AKG D310

Preamble

Hey, first time posting so let me know if I'm in the wrong place but I recently bought a D310 off reverb. It was the kind of old that soil fell out of the mesh when you tapped the grill so I took the head apart and brushed or washed anything that seemed brushable or washable, left it for a couple of days to dry and put it back together. Gave it a try and it was sounding alright so I was happy.

Earlier today I plugged it into a fethead phantom and nothing came through. Tried on a condenser and another dynamic and they were working fine so I worried that maybe this was the sort of old that meant the phantom power fried it somehow. I tried opening it up again and found that the white wire was completely loose. I don't know if I did something to knock it loose or if it just happened to be brushing the contact when I tried the first time but it definitely isn't connected now.

The question
All I can see on this that can be unscrewed is the head and one screw above the XLR connector but when I take that out the XLR connector doesn't want to move anywhere. Do I just need to give it a hard knock in one direction or the other or is there something else I need to be doing?

I realise this is something ludicrously simple so thank you if you've read this far.
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

In an attempt to provide useful information, have some photos.

One is of the side of the microphone where you can see the one screw.

One is of the XLR connector where you can see the XLR connector.

The other is down the barrel with the head and capsule off where you can see the other side of the XLR connector, that being the side I would like to apply solder to.
Attached Thumbnails
Taking apart an AKG D310-img_3783.jpg   Taking apart an AKG D310-img_3782.jpg   Taking apart an AKG D310-img_3780.jpg  
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Addict

Should be coming off, just push it out with a pencil or something.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Just realised I forgot to update this after fixing it.

So I looked around guides for other microphones and discovered that the connector pulls out, not in (this doesn't seem sensible being that you've got soldered wires attached to a capsule that can't go in the same direction but let's not mind that).

The trick is to unscrew the connector, plug in an XLR cable and then unplug that XLR cable and the connector should come with it. I found it took a couple of goes and trying to tug at an angle helps.

The other thing that caused me trouble was at the capsule end. There's a tight rubber ring which is holding the wires close to the capsule. It feels like it's built in but it isn't. You can just roll that up or down and it'll slip off, leaving the wires free to be worked with.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear