The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
stacked 250k volume/tone concentric pots
Old 29th July 2020
  #1
stacked 250k volume/tone concentric pots

is a pot is a pot is a pot?

for whatever reason, 250k/250k concentric pots seem to be thin on the ground and the only ones i've found so far are made by alps, and allparts--can't find anything from a reputable company that isn't 250k/500k. any suggestions? are those korean pots garbage?
Old 29th July 2020
  #2
for reference: https://guitarelectronics.com/alps-s...oncentric-pot/

https://reverb.com/item/25588164-alp...e-pot-set-of-2

also, mods if you think this is more of a so many guitars post feel free to move. thanks!
Old 30th July 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
Alphas are fine, I've used many and never had a problem (unlike some push-push CTS where the mechanism consistently broke after just a few months or even weeks, btw). If you like the 250/500 you've found except for the value, get them and put a 470k resistor across the 500k section to turn it into ~250k. The taper will change a bit but it's usually fine. You can always try and see.
Old 30th July 2020
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabirio View Post
Alphas are fine, I've used many and never had a problem (unlike some push-push CTS where the mechanism consistently broke after just a few months or even weeks, btw). If you like the 250/500 you've found except for the value, get them and put a 470k resistor across the 500k section to turn it into ~250k. The taper will change a bit but it's usually fine. You can always try and see.
oh yes, hadn't thought about putting in a resistor. is +-20% considered poor on the alphas?
Old 30th July 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehognrown View Post
oh yes, hadn't thought about putting in a resistor. is +-20% considered poor on the alphas?
It's the standard tolerance for guitar pots, the same you will find in CTS, Bourns, etc.
Old 31st July 2020
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabirio View Post
It's the standard tolerance for guitar pots, the same you will find in CTS, Bourns, etc.
how many watts, etc do i need? i imagine it's vanishingly small but as always there are a million options with slightly different spec but all rated at 470k.

also anyone have a recommendation for these or for .022uf caps both for a PJ bass?
Old 31st July 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehognrown View Post
how many watts, etc do i need? i imagine it's vanishingly small but as always there are a million options with slightly different spec but all rated at 470k.

also anyone have a recommendation for these or for .022uf caps both for a PJ bass?
Standard metal film 1/4 W 1% resistor (normally I use Vishay, Yageo or TE, others are fine, it's a resistor) for tone caps I use Wima MKS2.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump