The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
convert omnidirectional pattern into figure-8 electronically
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

convert omnidirectional pattern into figure-8 electronically

Hello,

A lot of large diaphragm condenser mics have two diaphragms in them so you can get different polar patterns.

Suppose a mic like this has omni, but not figure-8. How difficult is it to re-wire it to produce a figure 8 pattern instead? I'm talking about a professional person doing it (like someone who actually knows what they are doing).
Old 29th July 2020

Pretty easy - simply flip the phase of the rear capsule....

-tINY

Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

really? that's cool! i'm glad it's a simple modification.

it would be for a sony c800g. i already have omni covered elsewhere, so it would be cool to be able to get a figure 8 out of it. maybe i could pay a professional to put a switch or a button on it so i can get all three patterns. i don't mind the effect on the resale value. as long as the mod is safe, i'll definitely look into this. but first, sony has to start making these mics again.

since it's so simple, i kind of wonder why they don't offer all three patterns. one little extra circuit feature and you increase the polar pattern count by 50%.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear