The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What type of mic element is in a talkback mic / measurement mic???
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Head

What type of mic element is in a talkback mic / measurement mic???

Hello!

What kind of element would be used in a tiny omni built-in talkback microphone or a measurement microphone?

I realize that these are very different beasts, but I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what kind of small element one could plug right into a TS line input cable (without needing to power it) that would sound pretty flat across the spectrum?

I'm guessing the companies that are building small audio interfaces or inexpensive monitor controllers with built-in talkback mics are not spending a fortune designing and building these mics.

Electret, Pizeo, Crystal, something I don't know???????
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

They're almost universally electret condenser capsules, which require power for their built-in FET impedance converters. Exactly how "flat" they are depends greatly on how they're integrated into the housing around them, in addition to the quality of the capsule itself.

If unpowered is a requirement, then you'd be looking at dynamic elements . . . and what you define as "small" and "pretty flat" will dictate whether or not you can find what you're looking for. An EV 635A is "pretty flat" compared to most handheld vocal mics, and it's "small" compared to an LDC . . . but would only be suitable for measurement in the most approximate sense, and only below about 8-10KHz.
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkus View Post
They're almost universally electret condenser capsules, which require power for their built-in FET impedance converters. Exactly how "flat" they are depends greatly on how they're integrated into the housing around them, in addition to the quality of the capsule itself.

If unpowered is a requirement, then you'd be looking at dynamic elements . . . and what you define as "small" and "pretty flat" will dictate whether or not you can find what you're looking for. An EV 635A is "pretty flat" compared to most handheld vocal mics, and it's "small" compared to an LDC . . . but would only be suitable for measurement in the most approximate sense, and only below about 8-10KHz.
Hey thanks!

I'll look for a dynamic. Thanks again!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear