The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Self adhensive round copper for pin holes
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Self adhensive round copper for pin holes

Hey,
Im looking for this for ages... sometimes i happen to rip off a pin hole trace during recap. especially on those 80s pcbs that have traces top and bottom but are not connected through.

I have seen self adhesive copper tape... but id be looking for self adhesive round traces that will fit pcb holes. no way i could cut the copper tape to tiny circes with a hole in the middle. i hope im somewhat clear in my description.

does a product like this exist?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
You seek Yoda yes!
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/200pcs-M5x10...UAAOSwBp1ekPKz

Search pcb grommets and you’ll get a bunch of different sizes. Not self adhesive though. They work well at repairing pcb eyes. Put in the grommet, insert the leg of the components then solder.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

A bent ring with a straight wire on one side (made of resistor cut-offs) soldered to the remaining track will do the trick.
Old 1 week ago
Too low a temperature for too long usually causes the pads to lift off. All good advice above. Suggest doing some practice on old circuit cards before trying to repair something you value. FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot guys! These pcbs were horrible - never had this problem before. This is great help!
Old 1 week ago
This reminded me of my R&D work in micowave electronics. I was tasked with adding significant circuitry to a digital radio by adding parts to an existing PCB. I had to calculate ideal RF trace width for the PCB dielectric characteristics and top layer thickness (it was a 16 layer board), and cut out copper tape 'traces' under a microscope with an Exacto knife, and then construct the circuit by soldering surface mount components to these new traces, building it up one trace or part at a time. Each of the 5 channels of the radio had a total of about 40 new non-native components added. It took about a year, but I eventually got it all working...

Amazing what a corporation can accomplish given unlimited time and funds... B-)

By the way, copper tape adhesive is completely useless at soldering temperature, it turns into wads of sticky gunk.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear