The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
60 mm fader for Yamaha 03D, 01V, ProMix 01, AW4416, AW2816 questions
Old 2nd June 2020
60 mm fader for Yamaha 03D, 01V, ProMix 01, AW4416, AW2816 questions

A tech is currently refurbishing my Yamaha 03D console, whose ergonomics, MIDI implementation and built-in effects I love (I'm more creative with this old console, which I can play like a synth to create crazy sounds, than with newer ones).

Unfortunately, most of its faders are dead and Yamaha doesn't supply them anymore. It's almost impossible to find them new on the net, or not enough of them. If my info is correct, their part number is VZ523400, and they are exactly the same as for the 01V (original version), ProMix 01, AW4416, AW2816.

I found out that ALPS, the original manufacturer, still makes 60 mm faders that look pretty identical, part number RS60N11M9A0F: https://tech.alpsalpine.com/prod/e/h...0n11m9a0f.html

Could someone please tell me if they are indeed the same and if my tech will be able to use the ALPS to repair my 03D?

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowsky View Post
A tech is currently refurbishing my Yamaha 03D console, whose ergonomics, MIDI implementation and built-in effects I love (I'm more creative with this old console, which I can play like a synth to create crazy sounds, than with newer ones).

Unfortunately, most of its faders are dead and Yamaha doesn't supply them anymore. It's almost impossible to find them new on the net, or not enough of them. If my info is correct, their part number is VZ523400, and they are exactly the same as for the 01V (original version), ProMix 01, AW4416, AW2816.

I found out that ALPS, the original manufacturer, still makes 60 mm faders that look pretty identical, part number RS60N11M9A0F: https://tech.alpsalpine.com/prod/e/h...0n11m9a0f.html

Could someone please tell me if they are indeed the same and if my tech will be able to use the ALPS to repair my 03D?

Thanks!
I hate to be obvious but why not buy one and see if it works? FWIW
Old 2nd June 2020
According to my tech, it will be a waste of time and money. These series are 25 years old and their faders age badly. I've already got two spare ProMix 01, but none of them have faders that work properly. That's why I'm looking for brand new parts.

If I had confirmation that Yamaha VZ523400 and Alps RS60N11M9A0F are in fact the same, I would have an almost inexhaustible source of new faders
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Alps will have a spec sheet. Check it against one of your faders. If it is similar, its definitely worth a try.
Old 3rd June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
Alps will have a spec sheet. Check it against one of your faders. If it is similar, its definitely worth a try.
I've got the spec sheet for the Alps. I haven't been able to find the one for the Yamaha.

The various user and service manuals for these Yamaha console series do not include such details. Perhaps this information can be extracted from the circuit diagrams, but it's above my paygrade.

Alps RS60N11M9A0F spec sheet: https://tech.alpsalpine.com/prod/e/h...0n11m9a0f.html
Yamaha 03D Service Manual, incl. circuit diagrams: https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_03d_...wnload.html#dl
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Well if your tech is any good, he should be able to figure it out.
Old 3rd June 2020
Quote:
Well if your tech is any good, he should be able to figure it out.
My Yamaha-certified tech's hourly rate is expensive. Besides, he seems uninterested in fixing a console he considers unworthy. I need to provide him with a turnkey solution.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Find a better tech, report that one to Yamaha, and point out to him that throwing a perfectly good piece of gear in the skip is bad for our planet.
Old 3rd June 2020
Quote:
Find a better tech, report that one to Yamaha, and point out to him that throwing a perfectly good piece of gear in the skip is bad for our planet.
Come on, it's Yamaha that doesn't provide spare parts for these series anymore and wants to sell new consoles. Besides, it's not like me to turn anyone in.

Totally agree that obsolescence is bad for our planet though. It's also bad for the users time, finance and creativity. But Yamaha is far from being the worst offender; these are more likely to be found in Silicon Valley. I'm all for ********ic control over the practices and major orientations of the technology sector. Granted, a completely different debate.
Old 3rd June 2020
Buy one fader, see if it works OK and then if it does buy more. It cannot be that difficult to see if it works or doesn't work. If your tech is any good at all he should be able to look up the specs for the new fader from Alps and see if it is physically and electronically an equal to what is there. He is getting paid to repair the console not to make a decision on whether it should be fixed. My suggestion is to find someone else. FWIW
Old 3rd June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Buy one fader, see if it works OK and then if it does buy more. It cannot be that difficult to see if it works or doesn't work. If your tech is any good at all he should be able to look up the specs for the new fader from Alps and see if it is physically and electronically an equal to what is there. He is getting paid to repair the console not to make a decision on whether it should be fixed. My suggestion is to find someone else. FWIW
At the moment, I only found stock available in Japan. Prices vary between $25 and $55 per fader. Shipping costs start at 70$.

I have many good reasons to ask here first.
Old 3rd June 2020
Have you contacted ALPS in Europe to see if they have any in stock closer? IMHO $24 to $55 is a lot to pay for an Alps fader.

Best of luck!
Old 3rd June 2020
Quote:
Have you contacted ALPS in Europe to see if they have any in stock closer? IMHO $24 to $55 is a lot to pay for an Alps fader.

Best of luck!
$25 isn't bad, considering Yamaha was charging about $30.

Thanks anyway!
Old 3rd June 2020
You might want to do some sleuthing on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...fader&_sacat=0

FWIW
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

I've looked every where, I did come up with this showing 03D. That's kind of peculiar.

"Yamaha Motorised Fader 01V - Alps- fader, replacement input fader, 60mm for Yamaha 01V, 03D (VZ523400)"

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_mot..._fader_01v.htm

I don't know if Full Compass would tell you anything...? I'd look on ebay and get just one for comparison.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

This may help confirm. Also notice the part number on the fader here (235C VZ52340) and compare it with the picture at Full Compass.(421C VZ52340)

https://translate.google.com/transla...JM&prev=search

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/132...-fader-for-01v
Old 3rd June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
I've looked every where, I did come up with this showing 03D. That's kind of peculiar.

"Yamaha Motorised Fader 01V - Alps- fader, replacement input fader, 60mm for Yamaha 01V, 03D (VZ523400)"

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_mot..._fader_01v.htm

I don't know if Full Compass would tell you anything...? I'd look on ebay and get just one for comparison.
Yeah, I saw this ad. A bit expensive after adding shipping and only one unit in stock (possibly since November 2012…) when I needed a total of 19.
Old 3rd June 2020
Quote:
This may help confirm. Also notice the part number on the fader here (235C VZ52340) and compare it with the picture at Full Compass.(421C VZ52340)

https://translate.google.com/transla...JM&prev=search

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/132...-fader-for-01v
I have little doubt about the Yamaha part number. I wonder if the discontinued Yamaha 60 mm fader can be replaced by the current Alps 60 mm fader
Old 3rd June 2020
Quote:
You might want to do some sleuthing on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...fader&_sacat=0

FWIW
There were a few ads for brand new Yamaha 60 mm faders on eBay, all from the same seller based in Jericho, VT, USA. I contacted him and he told me he only had nine left. He made me an offer at $25 each, shipping included, which is not bad so I ordered them. Ten more to go.

By the way, I just noticed that I totally misunderstood your first answer. I'm sorry about that. I was having two conversations at the same time, and I thought you were suggesting I buy a used console to cannibalize. Actually, you were suggesting that I buy a single Alps fader to test it…
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I saw this ad. A bit expensive after adding shipping and only one unit in stock (possibly since November 2012…) when I needed a total of 19.
You may need to find out if that main/red fader is dual gang/stereo. I'd seen what looked like the complete assembly when I googled 03d faders, in images. It was in the UK. Used! also seen a "2 lot for parts" of the others mixer on ebay, youve mentioned, they looked pretty good,,, but thats the thing, is if someone had sprayed/cleaned the faders and screwed them.
Old 3rd June 2020
Quote:
You may need to find out if that main/red fader is dual gang/stereo. I'd seen what looked like the complete assembly when I googled 03d faders, in images. It was in the UK. Used! also seen a "2 lot for parts" of the others mixer on ebay, youve mentioned, they looked pretty good,,, but thats the thing, is if someone had sprayed/cleaned the faders and screwed them.
These are digital mixers. Their flying faders are like MIDI controllers. It doesn't matter if they control a mono or stereo channel, they're all the same.

In fact, these faders can be reassigned to send any MIDI message, including SysEx for the 03D, making these mixers amazing MIDI controllers with total-recall, a bit like big Behringer BCF2000s.
Old 3rd June 2020
I had a bit of a bad mouth against my tech (actually a small company)… Of course, I had sent just in case the Alps RS60N11M9A0F specs and asked if it's the same as the Yamaha VZ523400. I finally got an answer, and it's yes!

So, I'll order the number I need and cross my fingers.

I'll come back here to tell how it worked out. It may be useful to someone else.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
These are digital mixers. Their flying faders are like MIDI controllers. It doesn't matter if they control a mono or stereo channel, they're all the same.

In fact, these faders can be reassigned to send any MIDI message, including SysEx for the 03D, making these mixers amazing MIDI controllers with total-recall, a bit like big Behringer BCF2000s.
OK, got it. Thanks. I had the 03d years ago, I purchase an wireless midi, and with that and the 03d app, I used my laptop as a remote and the whole setup was kickazz. that was long before, like now,,, where everyone has an remote app. Also I was a GS a few years back, and had found the issue with the Mackie Control Faders, the deal was with the ribbon cable being riveted to the slider for touch, would split the plastic that rides the rail and after time, that would deform and warp,,,,and probably was accelerated from downward pressure when moving by finger. Use to be some pic's on here of how that riveted/crack looked. Glad you may have a fix.
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had a bit of a bad mouth against my tech (actually a small company)… Of course, I had sent just in case the Alps RS60N11M9A0F specs and asked if it's the same as the Yamaha VZ523400. I finally got an answer, and it's yes!

So, I'll order the number I need and cross my fingers.

I'll come back here to tell how it worked out. It may be useful to someone else.
Do let us know how you get on. I have an 02R, and have changed some faders, but got parts from Yamaha, several years ago. More faders are dodgy. I did keep the old ones, and meant to do some work on them to identify the problem. They just seem to get 'sticky'.
Old 4th June 2020
Quote:
Do let us know how you get on. I have an 02R, and have changed some faders, but got parts from Yamaha, several years ago. More faders are dodgy. I did keep the old ones, and meant to do some work on them to identify the problem. They just seem to get 'sticky'.
Yes exactly, that's also one of my main problems. Sticky faders, which refuse to return to their stored position when a different page or memory is recalled, and become harder and harder to move. The other main problem is faders that start vibrating with a loud noise between two adjacent positions.

I've heard that the first problem is caused by grease that dries and the second one by dust that accumulates, both of which being impossible to clean at a non-prohibitive time and cost.

When looking for spare, keep in mind that 02R faders are longer, 100 mm I think, than those of the 03D, 01V, etc.
Old 8th June 2020
You might want to try this on your misbehaving faders. https://www.parts-express.com/caig-d...yABEgIyRPD_BwE Works miracles.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear