The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drawmer 1962 burned smell
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Drawmer 1962 burned smell

Hi, Ive been using this preamp lately quiet often and during long sessions. The unit gets hot, but I consider it normal , from experience with similar gear.

But today we had 4-5 very short brownouts (less than a second long) and coincidentally the preamp started to smell like that awful burned electronics we all know.

I immediately plugged it off, and opened it. the Power supply section was very hot. The toroidal was very hot and the heatsink for the regulator (?) was too hot to touch.
I also found a loose black plastic disc that surely popped off of a capacitor.

One of the capacitors seems to have "grown taller" rather than just bulging and the plastic cover fell off. this plasic has deformed from the heat i believe like a contact lens.

Do you think that just replacing this capacitor will make the preamp work normally again? Shoud I seize the opportunity to change other caps in the PSU?

Or could the overheating be caused by some other malfunction in the preamp?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Drawmer 1962 burned smell-img_20200528_200715_1.jpg   Drawmer 1962 burned smell-img_20200528_201058.jpg  

Last edited by nucelar; 28th May 2020 at 11:30 PM..
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear
What is all that dust all over the pcb and components? Most gear when you open it is pristine. Have any caps full out exploded? That leaves residue.

Recapping the power supply would be a good place to start I think. Be thorough, check the sxhematic, double check for any damaged parts. See if it still gets really hot.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Yes it's regular dust, the unit is about 15 years old and has never been opened before. And it has ventilation slits on the top cover, just over the PSU. The rest of the PCB is cleaner
But it definitely needs a blow or two of compressed air
Old 29th May 2020
I'd replace the cap that has grown taller. Definitely doesn't look right.
Old 29th May 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Yes it's regular dust, the unit is about 15 years old and has never been opened before. And it has ventilation slits on the top cover, just over the PSU. The rest of the PCB is cleaner
But it definitely needs a blow or two of compressed air
IMHO that "dust" does not look "normal". I would replace ALL the capacitors in the power supply to start with. When one cap goes the others may not be far behind. Best of luck!
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

If a brownout made the unit die then it´s quite likely that a HV peak in the mains killed something. Brownouts can feed upto 3kV spikes into the mains. That can destry various parts, but semiconductors being the most sensitive ones. Definitely check the rectifiers and voltage regulators. The dead cap can just be a symptom, not the cause of the problem. It should be replaced, anyway.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear