The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help to fix my yamaha rm1x
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Help to fix my yamaha rm1x

https://imgur.com/ONOCMUv

I just got a used supercheap Yamaha RM1X with small tactile switches for the keys. It seems that the previous owner have tried to DIY change the switches. Im not a n00b but not experienced with soldering either. But there seem to be a broken/missing solder pad and i guess that is the reason why key no 5 (see photo, red circle) is not working.

I have a new tactile switch, the only thing is that I am not sure how to do it, so could any of you please give me a step-by-step solution on how to fix this?
I would really apreciate any input to get this synth up and running. Cheers
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Head

watch a youtube video on desoldering through hole components. or look for replacing through hole components. there must be something on youtube. basically this involves a desoldering braid also called desoldering wick. you might need some flux but if you don't have flux just use more solder to get it wet then immediately use the solder wick before it fully cools. the tip should be tinned at all times but I guess only noobs need to be told about tip tinning so you probably already know that. one more thing that might not be obvious, the condition of your tip matters a lot. if it is contaminated, oxidized, or the plating has been removed, you will not be doing any soldering and you will be cranking the heat up to max to compensate. swapping in a new tip is easy but keeping it in good condition longer requires you to be fully trained as an electronics assembler level 1.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear