The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam A7X capacitor. Is this the problem?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Adam A7X capacitor. Is this the problem?

Hello
I hope this is in the right forum. Sorry if it is not.

My monitor Adam A7x started to make some crackles once in a while. I've noticed it happens when its probably hot, doesn't happen right away.

So I decided to open it and check if there was some capacitor leaking. I don't have a lot of expertise in electronics, so please forgive me.
One thing I noticed is the gray capactior without one leg. It looks like its broken. Also I noticed something that looks like some leaking? On the right circle of the picture.

Someone could give me a light here? The "one leg" capacitor is connected to the Hi shelf on the tweeter section. For me it makes sense because the crackling appears to be on the tweeter.

Could the problem be this capacitor? Is it possible to change it to another model that fits the same properties?

The model of the capacitor is 474J100

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Adam A7X capacitor. Is this the problem?-img_5439.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here is the capacitor https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...iABEgJHiPD_BwE

If one leg is broken off it could be making some contact and causing the noise when it is moved. Replace it.

Hard to trouble shoot remotely.

Best of luck!
Old 1 week ago
Film caps do not leak, they are not filled with an electrolyte. That is a .47 uf mylar film cap. I've never seen one of these pcb's before. Too bad it's filled with MC33078 opamps. BurrBrown OPA1662's would be a good swap.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Here is the capacitor https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...iABEgJHiPD_BwE

If one leg is broken off it could be making some contact and causing the noise when it is moved. Replace it.

Hard to trouble shoot remotely.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your help. I live in Brazil, I'll try to find this capacitor around here somewhere. It could take ages to receive the delivery, the post office here is kinda a mess.

Quote:
Film caps do not leak, they are not filled with an electrolyte. That is a .47 uf mylar film cap. I've never seen one of these pcb's before. Too bad it's filled with MC33078 opamps. BurrBrown OPA1662's would be a good swap.
Thank you for the information! Why too bad? Those opamps aren't avaible anymore?
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Just thought I'd mention that such problems can sometimes be caused just by simple cold solder joints.

This can sometimes falsely lead one to believe that a component has failed.

If my soldering skills were up to par, I would just re-touch any joints on suspected components, and see what happens.

You might just find that you fix the problem with nothing more than a dab of solder!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search