The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I fried a PCB Board, could you help out?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I fried a PCB Board, could you help out?

I have a bit of a crisis in my studio.

I have unfortunately had a short/power surge situation involving my studio workhorse Tascam US-2400. I plugged a power adapter into a USB dongle to provide more stability and the US-2400 was attached via USB to that dongle.

I noticed smoke coming from the back of the desk. The Belkin USB dongle is fried, and the USB section of the US2400 does not light up or connect anymore.

The socket still looks ok but a chip looks damaged and smells a bit.

I believe I have fried the USB section, or at least one chip which looks burned out. The power is still working fine and comes on and initialises as normal. Nothing else looks or seems damaged at all, I think this “U3” chip (attached) took the fall of whatever went wrong.

I was wondering if there was any chance you could help me identify what this chip is, and whether it could be replaced, or indeed if I could replace the PCB “brain” board?

Any ideas would be massively appreciated. Thank you so much for your time guys and gals!
Attached Thumbnails
I fried a PCB Board, could you help out?-img_1348.jpg   I fried a PCB Board, could you help out?-img_1349.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Can you read what's written on the larger chip besides it (U4)? That could give us a clue on wht the fried 8-pin chip may be.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hey, thanks so much for the reply.

I detached the serial cables carefully, held it under the light, and managed to get this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
I fried a PCB Board, could you help out?-img_1354.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

cropped for a bit more clarity. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
I fried a PCB Board, could you help out?-screenshot-2020-05-16-23.02.54.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi, looking at the datasheet of that usb interface chip was not fruitful... I see no application where a 8 pin chip is used together with it at it's output. What seems clear is that the fried chip is between the usb interface chip and the actual connector. Thus it seems to be some kind of port protection or similar. I think the best bet would be to order this replacement daughterboard from tascam.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hi, looking at the datasheet of that usb interface chip was not fruitful... I see no application where a 8 pin chip is used together with it at it's output. What seems clear is that the fried chip is between the usb interface chip and the actual connector. Thus it seems to be some kind of port protection or similar. I think the best bet would be to order this replacement daughterboard from tascam.
thanks very much for your help nucelar
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search