The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weird static-like blipping noise - Blue Dragonfly
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Weird static-like blipping noise - Blue Dragonfly

Hello!

I've been having a small issue with my Blue Dragonfly mic lately. I love the tone of it, but there has been a strange blipping, electronic noise in the background that sounds a bit like interference but particularly high-pitched.

My current set-up:
Blue Dragonfly > Motu M4 > Macbook Pro.

Here are some notable points:
  1. All other microphones I've tried on my exact setup seem totally fine. I've tried dynamic mics and condenser mics. I've tested all cables and they work fine on everything else.
  2. If I pick up and move my entire setup to the other side of my work space, the sound magically goes away. But for a number of reasons, I cannot work in that area. This makes me believe that there's interference that my Dragonfly is particularly good at picking up. It's the only mic that makes these blips and pops in my chosen work area. Yes, I'm aware some may tell me to simply recreate my workspace in an area there I won't hear that noise, but it does drive me a bit nuts to know my mic is making that noise at all and I'd love to look for a solution.
  3. I've tried the mic on another computer and interface and it seems like this noise only occurs with the Blue Dragonfly + Motu M4 combo.

It's a bit frustrating because all other mics work just fine in my spot, but I really want to use my Dragonfly because it's a go-to for many applications. I record mainly vocals and acoustic guitar.

**Here's a Soundcloud link to a recording I've made of the noise. I pumped the gain (volume warning) to ensure you could hear the noise. Please ignore the airplane-cabin-style white noise in the background.

Thanks!Weird

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search