The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avalon U5, limited power
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Avalon U5, limited power

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advise on a problem I'm having with my Avalon U5.

I've had this unit for years now and it was just sitting in a cabinet wrapped up in bubble sheet. Hadn't been powered on in years literally. It worked fine before I had to put it in storage (my closet, always dry etc).

Today I decided to bring her out, and unfortunately she doesn't seem to work. the High cut / speaker / active / tone lights all illuminate, but the little round power light (blue ish light) is not lit.

So it's like it has limited power or something. Checked the fuse and it was fine, opened the cover to see if any of the caps or anything looked smoked and everything looks and smells good.

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas or thoughts on this?

Really appreciate any feed back!!

Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprovenzo View Post
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advise on a problem I'm having with my Avalon U5.

I've had this unit for years now and it was just sitting in a cabinet wrapped up in bubble sheet. Hadn't been powered on in years literally. It worked fine before I had to put it in storage (my closet, always dry etc).

Today I decided to bring her out, and unfortunately she doesn't seem to work. the High cut / speaker / active / tone lights all illuminate, but the little round power light (blue ish light) is not lit.

So it's like it has limited power or something. Checked the fuse and it was fine, opened the cover to see if any of the caps or anything looked smoked and everything looks and smells good.

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas or thoughts on this?

Really appreciate any feed back!!

Chris
Have you contacted Avalon Designs?

Here is there authorized repair facility, you might give them a call.

AUDIO REHAB, Inc.
3096 N. Clybourn Ave.
Burbank, CA 91505
Tel: +1 (818) 557-1232
e: [email protected]
w: www.audiorehab.net

Best of luck!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Have you contacted Avalon Designs?

Here is there authorized repair facility, you might give them a call.

AUDIO REHAB, Inc.
3096 N. Clybourn Ave.
Burbank, CA 91505
Tel: +1 (818) 557-1232
e: [email protected]
w: www.audiorehab.net

Best of luck!

Hope everything is sorted out till now
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah I saw that service repair shop mentioned on their site... Damn, was really hoping I wouldn't have to ship this thing out.... don't even want to guess how much that's going to cost :(
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Despite the lack of bluish light...how does it function from the perspective of processing audio?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Well it's weird, today for the first time I was able to get some audio out... I didn't do anything except try the headphone output, and that seemed to sort of wake her up....

But something is definatly off. Sound comes and goes. When it's there it's like the sound has been gated. Like I have a synth with a long release playing but it's coming out more like a pluck... and it's not the synth or anything, it's the U5 doing it for sure...

What's even weirder is how the filter on the synth affects the U5.... it cuts out as I sweep the filter.... almost like the frequency response of the U5 is off....

Adding resonance on the synth kills the sound too....so weird...

Being that this is an analog device.... I'm just going to leave it on... run some signal through it and see what happens... maybe she just needs to be warmed up after sitting around for so long.... ???????????
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't know the U5, but it's probably just pissed that you let it sit in bubblewrap for years like some kind of MOTU piece...also sounds like perhaps some contact corrosion may have occurred. Unplug it and let it sit for a day or two, and while the power supply discharges fully you should contact Avalon and find out what type of contact cleaner their service dept. uses. All the pots, switches, external signal connectors, and anything internal that has non-soldered connectors should be cleaned and exercised: Unplugged and plugged back in a few times. Maybe that blue light is in a socket that has a bit of corrosion, too. Take your time, there's no need to use the cleaner like you're watering a lawn, and don't force anything.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Ha! You're probably right! But she should be grateful, most of my other gear got sold on fleebay LoL

You make a great point, maybe a little contact cleaner is just what the doctor ordered. I have a dirty pot on one of my mackie hr824's so a little cleaning is long over due..

I'll give it a shot and see.

Thank you for your generous feedback!!!!
Old 1 week ago
I suggest using this on the connectors https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/ and this on the switches https://www.amazon.com/Stabilant-5ml.../dp/B001E50GQS

FWIW. Best of luck!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search