The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MURA "Game Show" Mic Connector?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

MURA "Game Show" Mic Connector?

Hi.

I have a MURA DX-20V cardioid dynamic microphone (the long silver one people sometimes refer to as a "Bob Barker/Game show" mic) which appears to be in excellent condition but I have no cable to try it out.

The mic has a 4 pin screw on-connector and I'm pretty sure based on my research and this helpful post from @ wrgkmc (Primo Microphones from Japan) that it is a CBC/4-Pin mini microphone connector

Quote:
Multi-pin circular connectors (CBC-series, Foster)

First used in the 1970s by Japanese radio manufacturers, for microphone connectors on Citizens Band and amateur radio equipment, these screw-on circular connectors were available with 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 pins. They often were used for other purposes as well, such as 1970s Kenwood mobile transceivers, Eastern Asian built soldering stations in 1990s.[1]

These screw-locked connectors can be hard to find as they come under many generic names: "CB connector", "Mobile connector", "Microphone connector", "Power connector"—even sometimes misidentified as XLR connectors.

Even though this circular connector was largely standardized, there was no industry standard for pin assignments. Pin assignments to specific functions varied from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, in amateur radio, Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu radios have all used the 8-pin screw-on connector, yet microphones from one brand are incompatible with the other two brands, at least without the use of an adapter cable in between the microphone and the radio

Something like this :https://vetco.net/products/4-pin-min...xoCUt0QAvD_BwE

Can anyone please verify I'm on the correct path and would anyone happen to know the pin-out / how to wire it to an XLR (ideally although most of the pictures show it wired to a TS jack)

I've attached some pics of my mic as well as a couple I found through google showing the connector/cable

Thanks in advance - hope everyone is safe and healthy
Attached Thumbnails
MURA "Game Show" Mic Connector?-img_5317.jpg   MURA "Game Show" Mic Connector?-img_5319.jpg   MURA "Game Show" Mic Connector?-irpxvsbfdtooylk7icl7.jpg   MURA "Game Show" Mic Connector?-muradx20v_1e__80716.1547328115.800.1000.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
A lot of Asian made microphones had "strange" connectors. Some of them were made by the company that made the microphone. The only way to REALLY tell if it is the correct connector is to buy one and try it. It is easier with the WWW than it was when these were made. Best of luck!

(Just a word of caution, even though the connectors can look similar sometimes the connector spacing or pin diameters can be different)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Responding to my own thread in case anyone else had the same question. I was ordering some things from amazon and searched for a 4 connector mini microphone connector and I bought this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LFSQYQ..._kknXEb9W42JNW

And it fit perfectly - pins lined up, threaded perfectly. Now I have to figure out what the pins do / how to wire it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search