The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Will WiFi booster using mains electrical wiring cause interference?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Will WiFi booster using mains electrical wiring cause interference?

Living in London UK and I'm using Virgin Media as my broadband internet provider.

There is a Virgin Media Hub 3 that plugs into cable from the street and acts as a WiFi router in the house. There are some dead spots and so I was considering using a Virgin Media supplied "WiFi" booster system comprising of two units. One unit is connected to the Main Hub 3 via ethernet and plugs into an adjacent mains socket and sends the signal "through the mains wiring" to the second unit in the room with the dead spot, which is also plugged into the mains. This second unit then can act as a WiFi extender.

Does using the mains like this risk deterioration of audio quality in my studio from whatever effect?

Out of complete ignorance I'm thinking can this cause interference, increased jitter in AD/DA convertors etc or some other deleterious phenomenon I wouldn't understand?

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search