The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Make this thing make sound (ultrasonic or
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Make this thing make sound (ultrasonic or

Hello sound community !

I need to design solution for temporary museum exhibition. In general there is rock emulation, made of fiberglass, mounted on a handling frame(see in attached). I need to make this thing speak to the audience - literally, there would voice samples playing. The best solution would be system with the most natural sound distribution. natural in the meaning of speaking rocks )

I came with 3 options, and would be happy to have a review from collective mind:

1) ultrasonic speakers, mounted on the wall behind rock.
pros - fancy, direct spatial distribution
cons - expensive, could be not so natural

2) vibration-speakers (contact-speakers), mounted on wood plate inside rock
pros - cheap,
cons - fiberglass seems to take a lot of sound "energy", cutting hi and mid fq's

3) rig of cheap 7-10" speakers placed inside rock, facing all directions.
pros - like to think, that reflection from walls and floor, would give natural sound
cons - not sure it is going to work the way I expect.

Maybe there are more elegant and nifty solutions to make ? Please share your ideas and view.

>>> thnx
Attached Thumbnails
Make this thing make sound (ultrasonic or-2020-05-06-12.21.20.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftfftft View Post
Hello sound community !

I need to design solution for temporary museum exhibition. In general there is rock emulation, made of fiberglass, mounted on a handling frame(see in attached). I need to make this thing speak to the audience - literally, there would voice samples playing. The best solution would be system with the most natural sound distribution. natural in the meaning of speaking rocks )

I came with 3 options, and would be happy to have a review from collective mind:

1) ultrasonic speakers, mounted on the wall behind rock.
pros - fancy, direct spatial distribution
cons - expensive, could be not so natural

2) vibration-speakers (contact-speakers), mounted on wood plate inside rock
pros - cheap,
cons - fiberglass seems to take a lot of sound "energy", cutting hi and mid fq's

3) rig of cheap 7-10" speakers placed inside rock, facing all directions.
pros - like to think, that reflection from walls and floor, would give natural sound
cons - not sure it is going to work the way I expect.

Maybe there are more elegant and nifty solutions to make ? Please share your ideas and view.

>>> thnx
Something like this and attach it directly to the underside of the rock. https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...iABEgKRi_D_BwE

There are lots of variations of this so some "Googling" would probably yield some more results. Good LUCK!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can you hide speakers in the stand for the rock (by making them partly or entirely enclosed columns rather than an open frame)? I suspect if you had one in each leg, more or less aimed towards the middle of the rock, it would be pretty convincing, and certainly easy to experiment with. The trick I think would be to arrange it so that nobody gets really close to any indivdual speaker so as to give away their precise locations; and most patrons, at least those who would care about the realism of the rock talking, won't be crawling around underneath it. I might start with these speakers which are inexpensive and pretty small and should be perfectly acceptable for voice (perhaps with a bit of EQ added).
Old 2 weeks ago
Or get one of these and just put it next to your "rock" https://www.outeraudio.com/outdoor-rock-speakers/

FWIW!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

DrewE, Thomas, great thank you for sharing your ideas !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
Can you hide speakers in the stand for the rock (by making them partly or entirely enclosed columns rather than an open frame)? I suspect if you had one in each leg, more or less aimed towards the middle of the rock, it would be pretty convincing, and certainly easy to experiment with. The trick I think would be to arrange it so that nobody gets really close to any indivdual speaker so as to give away their precise locations; and most patrons, at least those who would care about the realism of the rock talking, won't be crawling around underneath it. I might start with these speakers which are inexpensive and pretty small and should be perfectly acceptable for voice (perhaps with a bit of EQ added).
Didn't thought about design in this way, good idea, thanks ! will take in count for this or future projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Or get one of these and just put it next to your "rock" https://www.outeraudio.com/outdoor-rock-speakers/

FWIW!
To crazy to be true !)) that's great option (no joke), but i'd like to stick diy and almost invisible speakers installations, like the one you noticed before!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

BTW, I decided to have a bit of critical view, and start thinking of solution when sound not directly from an object, but from everywhere, to blur all directivity of sound. At the end, I find this interesting project, using cheap-as-hardcore speakers cabinets, but I felt in love with it anyway.

hope you find it interesting:

https://www.x-tet.com/2018/11/ank-speaker-cabinets/
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search