The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Console maintenance general help - Trident TSM specifically.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Console maintenance general help - Trident TSM specifically.

Hello there,
I'm using downtime to give the studio I work in a full sweep.
What works? What doesn't? What's worth saving? What needs getting rid of?

I've been slowly getting my head around the Trident TSM here and it's both wonderful and frustrating.
I'd like to do some basic troubleshooting and maintenance so I can contact our regular service guy when the world starts up again.

I'd really love to talk to someone who is happy to discuss the basics - what not to be afraid of and what to avoid. I'm also somewhat baffled by a couple of functions of the desk, so someone with experience of the TSM who would be up for a quick chat would be a godsend at this point!

Many thanks folks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Most issues I've found are the EQ faders and those tantalum caps. The faders can be removed and ultrasonically cleaned. Modern low impedance electrolytic coupling caps will outperform the tant's and last 40 years. Dump the fet LF351 opamps for OPA1641 or ADA4625-1 fet opamps and most of those coupling caps can go. Use OPA1611 opamps for summing and other noise critical places like the fader amps.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Many thanks.
I seem to have an issue right now where the first three auxes are dead. They don't meter at their masters and there's nothing on the patchbay outputs.

I'm wondering if there's something very simple that I've done wrong?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Most issues I've found are the EQ faders and those tantalum caps. The faders can be removed and ultrasonically cleaned. Modern low impedance electrolytic coupling caps will outperform the tant's and last 40 years. Dump the fet LF351 opamps for OPA1641 or ADA4625-1 fet opamps and most of those coupling caps can go. Use OPA1611 opamps for summing and other noise critical places like the fader amps.
To be honest - nobody has used the EQ section once since I've been here. The artist likes to move from song to song very quickly and it's just wound up easier to keep most things in the box.

Similarly, nobody has ever used the routing matrix at the top of the channels (the TM10 modules). I'm actually having trouble working out how they're supposed to work.

I have mixer mode selected and I was expecting to see signals routed to groups available at the Group Sends row on the patchbay - but nothing.

I realise these are all very entry level questions - but I've been through the scans of the manual and I'm still stumped.

Trying to use the downtime to feel less 'all at sea' with this board!
Thanks for being patient!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You dont ultrasonically clean faders, thats overkill. Warm water and a few cotton buds are all you need, and relubing the rails with silicon grease.
The TSM is a good candidate for removing capacitors from the signal path. Trident put way too many in, being over cautious. From memory, you can remove about half of them.
Old 4 weeks ago
I've seen some pretty shot TSM and A range EQ faders, cheap stuff from Asia and carbon tracked. The ultrasonic cleaning is the best way to fix them other than replacement. They will need a re-lube when done. Then they work like new.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search