Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Probably going to build a mic

Whats the best soldering iron to buy?

One that lasts long, ect.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What kind of mic are you building? Don’t you already have a soldering iron?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The very best? In my opinion, a Metcal iron with their smartheat technology. It's a fascinating and unique design, one that works very, very well indeed, with fast heating and excellent temperature control that physically cannot get out of calibration. If I had to spend all day, every day soldering and/or doing electronic rework, that's what I would choose.

That said, there are a great many quite good irons and soldering stations that are perfectly fine to use for just about any purpose for a whole lot less money.

If you're going to use surface-mount parts, a hot air station is very helpful in addition to the iron.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
The very best? In my opinion, a Metcal iron with their smartheat technology. It's a fascinating and unique design, one that works very, very well indeed, with fast heating and excellent temperature control that physically cannot get out of calibration. If I had to spend all day, every day soldering and/or doing electronic rework, that's what I would choose.

That said, there are a great many quite good irons and soldering stations that are perfectly fine to use for just about any purpose for a whole lot less money.

If you're going to use surface-mount parts, a hot air station is very helpful in addition to the iron.

In my mind if Im going to get a full kit of u87 parts for 600 dollars then I might as well spend good money on the soldering iron. Thanks for the advice!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlane View Post
In my mind if Im going to get a full kit of u87 parts for 600 dollars then I might as well spend good money on the soldering iron. Thanks for the advice!
It seems logical that if you don’t have an iron already you probably haven’t done much soldering. Get something to practice on before you spend $600 on a kit. It’s a skill, you need to practice.
Old 4 weeks ago

The Hakko FX-888d is probably the best value. Very good iron, modest price.

I just bought some different sized tips for mine recently - as I was doing surface-mount and fine work with a larger chisel tip (that works great for building tube amps...).

https://www.hakkousa.com/products/so...ion-10148.html

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search