The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio interfaces and MIDI
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Audio interfaces and MIDI

I'm looking to connect my Nord Piano keyboard to my iMac or iPad to record on Garageband. A couple of questions:
1) To record audio (stereo) from the keyboard I need an audio interface and I'm looking at the Focusrite Scarlett range. Is there any need to buy an interface with MIDI as I can already connect the keyboard USB MIDI connection direct to USB on the iMac? Is there any advantage in having MIDI facility on the interface - if not it looks as though the Scarlett 2i2 model will do the trick.
2) I'm also looking at using Garageband or other DAWs on my iPad for live performances on stage. Again I can connect MIDI from keyboard direct to the iPad Lightning connector and presumably connect the headphone socket on the iPad to powered speakers. So, again, is there any need (or advantage) in using an audio interface with MIDI for this application?
Many thanks for any advice you give me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I'm pretty sure that would be fine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search