The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TASCAM MS 16 DBX connector search help needed
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

TASCAM MS 16 DBX connector search help needed

Hi. Hope someone can help me find a TASCAM connector. It's from a TASCAM MS 16 DBX jumper plug used when the machine is not using the DBX units like mine. Each machine uses 2 plugs. Looking to build 2 plugs for a friend but my search for the connectors was a bust. They are 60 pin male with the letters HRS on the front, solder type hole pins. The backshell/hood assembly is not necessary but would be nice. Any help finding them, new, used, on trashed cables would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JerryA
Attached Thumbnails
TASCAM MS 16 DBX connector search help needed-img_1539.jpg   TASCAM MS 16 DBX connector search help needed-img_1540.jpg   TASCAM MS 16 DBX connector search help needed-img_1541.jpg   TASCAM MS 16 DBX connector search help needed-img_1544.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
I have a similar connector on the back of my OTARI MTR-10. It says "HONDA" on it. I see them come up sometimes on EBAY. Best of Luck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks! The hunt is on.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Hi. Hope someone can help me find a TASCAM connector. It's from a TASCAM MS 16 DBX jumper plug used when the machine is not using the DBX units like mine. Each machine uses 2 plugs. Looking to build 2 plugs for a friend but my search for the connectors was a bust. They are 60 pin male with the letters HRS on the front, solder type hole pins. The backshell/hood assembly is not necessary but would be nice. Any help finding them, new, used, on trashed cables would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JerryA
That HRS logo means it was made by Hirose Electric, which is still around and still making all kinds of connectors. Measure the pitch between the pins and send them an email with a picture and I bet they can ID it.
--scott
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Digikey... maybe. Some of those connectors may no longer be available NOS.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...in%20connector
Old 4 weeks ago
cvh
Here for the gear

does anyone know if this is it??

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/gener...ctors/3220831/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh View Post
That sure looks like it could be... 2.5mm pitch is 0.1in so it's the same pitch as an old IDE disk drive header... that seems a bit small to me but measure the original and see!
--scott
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

That be it! Even has the "key gap" between pins 38 & 39. Thanks folks.

JerryA
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Im looking for a jumper as well.Ive two ms 16 machines, cant find one of the damn jumpers. Now what about the "wiring" of these jumpers. The OEM jumpers have large cap on the back. Ive not taken it apart but the image posted per link is just a plug, and Id assume some of the pins would have to be connected.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh View Post

That's not the right one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

correct that is not right connector , it needs three rows. I have a remote for my ms16.Home made but has the right connector, I'll just look at connection solder points of my other machines noise reduction jumper and and use that one.
Old 2 weeks ago
cvh
Here for the gear

hmm, care to share how that’s made? trying to find a solution, tricky setup those jumpers
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Well shoot, look at front view, 3 rows? Also, look real close at pins on the rear view, 3 rows? Angle/perspective/ view of the back photo. The pins seem to be "lined up" with each other the way the photo was taken, 3 rows? Also you need the male gender, not female as shown.

If not, multi eggs in face.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

TASCAM connector

I believe those are the right male connectors. TASCAM "soldered jumped" the appropriate pins, maybe also with bus (or buss!) wire, 24/22 AWG(?). I removed the back shell on one of my jumper plugs and mated the male connector to the panel just feel the insertion force, and without the connector back shell locks, the D-mate force. It needed to be "persuaded" to D-mate, pretty dang snug. So, unless yoru going to do remote/mobile recordings with the machine, you should be pretty safe just to use the bare plug in a "studio environment". Maybe just do a sanity check every once in a while. I'm no expert. The above is just my take on the matter and my 2 cents but I hope in some (small) way, it help ya!

JerryA
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Parallax effect?

I forgot to comment on my last post about some of the connector photos. Parallax (spelling?) effect. Same as reading a car's fuel gauge from the passenger side and reading analog VU meters accurately/precisely. It's all in the angle. (or something like that)

JerryA
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm still waiting for someone to measure the pitch of the damn things. Pin diameter would be nice but the pitch tells us if we are even in the right ballpark.
--scott
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

WHOOPS!

Hey Scott. I think I dropped the ball on this but will post that info after my "home chores" are done today unless someone beats me to it, sorry 'bout that.

They say the first thing to go is the memory, can't remember what the second thing is.

JerryA
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Answers(?) for front & side views in pink circles, hope this helps. If not, I just pi$$ed off a bunch of electrons. Sorry for the small scan, all I can do in a pinch so maybe one of you kind folks can enlarge it if ya can't read it.

JerryA
Attached Thumbnails
TASCAM MS 16 DBX connector search help needed-pitch-scan.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Answers(?) for front & side views in pink circles, hope this helps. If not, I just pi$$ed off a bunch of electrons. Sorry for the small scan, all I can do in a pinch so maybe one of you kind folks can enlarge it if ya can't read it.

JerryA
Beautiful!

0.095 inch pitch is close enough to 2.5mm for the real world. I'd say that is
likely the same connector. (Most 2.5mm pitch devices are really 0.1 inch...)
--scott

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search