The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?

Hey guys and gals,
Hope you're all staying safe and not injecting Lysol into your veins, staring at solar eclipses, or following any other scientific advice from the Cheeto Benito. (Everyone else who is not in the U.S., you're probably highly amused by our media circus, so you're welcome.)

What has everyone been working on? I wanted to start a journal of some builds, then I figured, it would be cool to see what everyone is building in their new found reservoir of spare time.

I'm sort of cloning a CCA LA-1D, pics included. Sort of, in that I am adding an additional meter, and an attack option. Attack and release will still be fixed, switched, like the original's release control.

Got some other things going, like Melcor AML-27's with GME-20 stereo strips, a stereo Quad Eight preamp, and a few other odds and ends. But this is more of the immediate obsession.

Share some pics and stories of your projects!

I am in the metalwork stage, tube sockets are not 100% where I want them, sort of on the fence. In fact, I know the OC2 and the 12BH7 will definitely move. the 12AL5 may move. We shall see. The PSU tranny in the pic is an Ampex from a 960. I'm using a Triad instead, not pictured. Attack and release will be using the two lever switches, red chickenhead knob is threshold, above that is input attn, then the big Daven for output attn. Gain reduction meter, along with an in/out meter, with the option to kill the meter to remove meter distortion. Once I am happy with the layout, I'll start to load the turret boards up and solder. The enclosure is an old White graphic eq that took a ****. I love the challenge of stuffing 8lbs of **** into the 5lb bag. There's something very satisfying about a clean layout. I have to say that I have learned a great deal of what I know regarding fabrication from trolling sites like this, so everyone, please keep on keeping on! What we do here is a positive, creative institution. Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?-20200412_230541.jpg   Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?-20200415_230002.jpg   Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?-20200418_232426.jpg   Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?-20200418_232444.jpg   Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?-20200422_230828.jpg  

Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?-20200423_221341.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago

Well, I've been getting my basement together for multitracking - while cutting songs. Gotta do music.

organizing mics, building shelves, making a new desk, ordering new pads for headphones....

-tINY

Attached Thumbnails
Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?-covid-studio.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi, not audio related but nontheless:
My gas boiler started to drip water some days ago. Service not coming in a week or so. The bucket of water keeps filling and overflowing if nobody's watching.
So i took an old alarm clock, cracked it open and soldered a pair of cables that will trigger the alarm when shorted So I placed the ends of the cable inside the bucket at the desired height and voilà! No more overflows
Family super impressed
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
My gas boiler started to drip water some days ago. Service not coming in a week or so. The bucket of water keeps filling and overflowing if nobody's watching.
So i took an old alarm clock, cracked it open and soldered a pair of cables that will trigger the alarm when shorted So I placed the ends of the cable inside the bucket at the desired height and voilà! No more overflows
Family super impressed

So, an alarm to activate the manual sump pump....

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Cleaning up my audio lab, tossing a lot of "junque" that I no longer need or want, fixing my SnapMaker 3D printer, answering questions from my Ebay site, listening to music, watching "how to" videos on YouTube, going over equipment to check for problems and generally enjoying some time to myself. FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
I went through 15 mics replacing transistors with lower noise devices. Then I went back through the Soundcraft Delta 16 channel "location" console with lower noise mic preamp transistors and better Analog Devices opamps in the mic preamps. The opamps past that stage were replaced with new low power Burrbrown devices to save on the PSU juice and lower heat.

It's all "hissless" now, really super quiet. 50 db of mic pre gain plus 15 db of top boost still has no hiss, it's all room air noise now.

Now all I need is live music to be legalized again...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I´m doing a lot of repair work in and around my house which had been waiting way to long to be done. Other than that I´m currently repairing a Sontec 250EX and refurbishing a Midas XL200 console.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Family super impressed

Gotta take care of the dwelling, too! I've certainly have been working on that stuff- hanging sheetrock and mudding my front sun room, landscaping stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I went through 15 mics replacing transistors with lower noise devices. Then I went back through the Soundcraft Delta 16 channel "location" console with lower noise mic preamp transistors and better Analog Devices opamps in the mic preamps. The opamps past that stage were replaced with new low power Burrbrown devices to save on the PSU juice and lower heat.

It's all "hissless" now, really super quiet. 50 db of mic pre gain plus 15 db of top boost still has no hiss, it's all room air noise now.

Now all I need is live music to be legalized again...
Live music is outlawed, yet dispensaries are still open in legal states. It's the carnival come to fruition!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Cleaning up my audio lab, tossing a lot of "junque" that I no longer need or want, fixing my SnapMaker 3D printer, answering questions from my Ebay site, listening to music, watching "how to" videos on YouTube, going over equipment to check for problems and generally enjoying some time to myself. FWIW
Awesome. I have a theory, that if our personal lives can slow down (inversely proportional to the speed of society) that we may find ourselves better off individually and socially, after this lockdown is lifted.

I've been learning how to weld from YouTube. And as a catharsis, I've been watching people build alternative houses.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Well, I've been getting my basement together for multitracking - while cutting songs. Gotta do music.

organizing mics, building shelves, making a new desk, ordering new pads for headphones....

-tINY

Looking good, tINY. Yeah, I'm trying to muster up the muses to start a new music project. I'm thinking of forcing myself to start an album this summer. Been rough with school, work, and kids to find inspiration to write music. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 4 weeks ago

Soon, I'll be able to find things...

-tINY

Attached Thumbnails
Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?-img_3953.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Very nice, very nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Built a website for my audio business and did some productive client outreach. Optimized the mixing space by installing a keyboard tray to improve ergonomics and get my head in the sweet spot all the time as well as reduce clutter on the desk. Re-did my pedalboard and after many hours of changes, I replaced one dirt pedal with another, and removed a chorus pedal altogether... took forever, and somehow I'm super happy with the sound to the point of it being irrational. Spent more time practicing with a metronome. Dug up some multi-tracked shows that I hadn't had a chance to dig into yet. Set aside some stuff to sell - still haven't had the heart to post it yet. Planned way more future studio purchases that I won't be able to afford for quite some time and posted on GS way more than usual.

It's been pretty nice, really.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverbpervert View Post
Live music is outlawed, yet dispensaries are still open in legal states. It's the carnival come to fruition!
Surfing is legal this morning, the crowds exceed the morning rush hour. Backcountry trail spots and the entire Anza Borrego desert state park is closed to "vehicle traffic". Yes, every 4 wheel drive dirt road is roped off.

Pedestrian traffic is allowed so people park their "vehicles" on the side of the highway, very dangerous. Apparently, the minds of Excremento believe it's safer to pass a pedestrian on a remote desert trail than it is to wave from your Jeep with the windows up. It's also safer to park on a 65 MPH 2 lane hwy than is it to use the parking lots provided.

On the beach you can walk or run, no standing, no sitting. You can fish but you can't take your boat out. You can surf but must wear a mask.

This is the crazy stuff that happens when you let polls toss the constitution and become dictators making new laws out of whole cloth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

haha I built a plate reverb

My DIY Plate Reverb is built and working!
Old 3 weeks ago

That's better....

-tINY

Attached Thumbnails
Quarantine Projects- What's everyone doing?-img_3954.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

So far:
Rebuilt an SWR bass amp head, lots of internal corrosion due to storage in very damp environment by previous owner
Checked bias on the output stage of an Ampeg SVT bass amp.
Repaired an LED on a Boss TU3 tuner pedal (surface mount resistor, awful things to work on with 'regular' tools!).
Done a strip, clean and rebuild on a vintage Ludwig snare drum and almost finished the same with a 1970's Pearl snare dum.
Made heavy timber stands for new mix room speakers.
Checking my serial number records for every bit of kit I own.
Updated software and operating systems to current versions and checked compatibility, etc.
Spun up every hard disk drive in the archive to check they are still working, make backups where needed.

Hopefully I'll find time to read a book or two...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
So far:
Rebuilt an SWR bass amp head, lots of internal corrosion due to storage in very damp environment by previous owner
Checked bias on the output stage of an Ampeg SVT bass amp.
Repaired an LED on a Boss TU3 tuner pedal (surface mount resistor, awful things to work on with 'regular' tools!).
Done a strip, clean and rebuild on a vintage Ludwig snare drum and almost finished the same with a 1970's Pearl snare dum.
Made heavy timber stands for new mix room speakers.
Checking my serial number records for every bit of kit I own.
Updated software and operating systems to current versions and checked compatibility, etc.
Spun up every hard disk drive in the archive to check they are still working, make backups where needed.

Hopefully I'll find time to read a book or two...
haha wow, lots of stuff
Old 3 weeks ago
rez
Lives for gear

just doing some maintenance work...

yesterday i replaced the audio cables on two technics sl1210 mkII turntables.

today i got something slightly more interresting: an old uher m655 microphone from aproxymately the 1970s.

this looks to be a m/s microphone, because it has a forward directed cardoid capsule and a sideways directed figure of 8 capsule.

there are also two switches on the body - one is for switching some kind of filtering for (s)peech or (m)usic and the other is a remote switch to control the start/stop of some of the uher tape recorders.

the cable is permanently fixed and ends in an old 8 pin din connector. the cable itself has five conductors - blue, yellow and black are not shielded, red and white each has its own woven shield.

i assume that the red and white carry the signals from the capsules.
both shields and also the yellow wire have continuity so i assume those are ground.
blue and black have continuity if the start/stop button is on stop, so they just connect some circuit in the attached recorder.

this microphone uses one 1,5v AA battery for power.

my task for today is to fit two new ts-plugs to replace the din connector so we can connect to an old mixer with only ts inputs.

what i could not research by now is if there is an built in m/s decoder in that microphone or if i have to process the two recorded tracks later to decode the m/s information. maybe this microphone decodes m/s to stereo because it was designed to work with portable tape recorders that only recorded two or four track mono/mono or stereo.

if anbody has any thoughts on that feel free to comment.

peace, rez
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I've just been getting my feet wet with DIY. I've now built 3 mics and working on my 4th right now - I love the kits from micparts.com. I have a re-amper kit coming in the next couple days to build also. Then I'll see how I feel with everything before deciding what to build next.

I am also working on/planning how to treat my room. Trying to get a good drum sound in my 12'x12' room.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search