The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Altec 1592B output transfomer
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

Altec 1592B output transfomer

Hi

I have an Altec 1592B on the bench for repair. Unfortunately, the output transformer broke off the the pc mounts and there isn't enough wire to repair it. Can't find the specs on it, anyone have any idea or what could be used as a replacement?

Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Altec 1592b

1. try your best to repair.
patience, thin wire, and solder,
you just might be able to fix.

2. as the 1592b can do +30 dBm from 31 VDC, a 1:3 step-up ratio seems about right. finding one with similar ratio AND center tap will be difficult.

3. for cheap, you can install the Edcor XSM (600:150) but wire it backwards.
it does have center taps.
less gain but in my opinion, adequate.
Attached Thumbnails
Altec 1592B output transfomer-1592b.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

No way to repair it, one of the input side wires broke inside the windings, which appear to come out of the center of the windings. The output side is a little more accessible but not the ins.

Could you explain a little more the math of picking the transformer? After thinkning it thru a little more I assume impedance matching is not critical since the output impedance is low, so wouldn't it just be a 1:1 transformer?

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try that route.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Altec 1592b

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialarts View Post
After thinkning it thru a little more I assume impedance matching is not critical since the output impedance is low, so wouldn't it just be a 1:1 transformer?
it kinda depends on how weird you want this 1592b to be.
a stock unit can do +30 dBm, which may to be a factor in its sonic signature (read that as impressive).
if looking for cheap and cheerful fix, install a 5534 which with a few extra components, can operate happily on a single ended 31 VDC supply.
then add your 1:1 output transformer.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search