The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Oven vent vs Ableton live?
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

My Oven vent vs Ableton live?

Hey guys, I'd love to pick up your geek brain for a sec if you don't mind.

I know an oven vent shouldn't affect a computer software in theory but let me explain...

Every time I turn on the oven vent in my kitchen, I hear a pop coming out from my studio speakers. It's been like this since the first time I moved into my current place (3+ years ago) but it really never affected them. I have all my gears plugged into two different surge-protected tower plugs.

A few months ago tho my PC motherboard died and I had to buy a new one. I was really upset about it but you know, **** happens so I bought a new one. The guy who helped me rebuild my new PC advised me to buy a UPS unit because he thinks that the MB death could be related to those pops. So I was looking for a UPS unit and by reading the forum I see many different opinions about it: some say a UPS it's great only in case of blackouts, some that it can give you a nice buffer between the socket and your gear, some are advising for a power conditioner, etc...Still didn't buy one.

THEN today while I was working on an Ableton project, my wife turned on the oven vent and Ableton crashed (+ the usual pop from my speakers)! Well, it was still on but no sound was coming out anymore and the second Ableton I had open to an external laptop, which is synched to the PC via midi cable, lost its midi sync connection.

I have to say that my soundcard is the only device connected directly into another socket which is not surge protected, so I kinda feel the crash (and maybe the pops) could be because of that BUT could it potentially be related to the motherboard or any internal pc components?

Should I buy a surge protected plug for my soundcard? Absolutely yes BUT would you still go for a UPS or Power Conditioner and plug everything I use into it in order to get an extra layer of safety?

Thanks!
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

The first thing I'd do is get a qualified person (an electrian, or at least someone who is quite familiar with mains wiring) to check the wiring and connections for the hood and for the sockets you have your stuff plugged into. It sure sounds to me like something is not right with your house wiring, and that could possibly be a serious safety concern.
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
The first thing I'd do is get a qualified person (an electrian, or at least someone who is quite familiar with mains wiring) to check the wiring and connections for the hood and for the sockets you have your stuff plugged into. It sure sounds to me like something is not right with your house wiring, and that could possibly be a serious safety concern.
Well, that's reassuring...Thanks for sharing. At least I'll die doing something I love.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear
If the wiring is good, I'd look for long lengths of unbalanced wiring in your setup... plus any audio cables bundled with power, or running close to the walls.

If you go for a UPS and really care about your gear, make sure it's rated for electronics with a sinewave out. They're a lot more expensive, and a lot better protection for audio stuff with transformer power supplies.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search