The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using PB input switched connections to split
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Using PB input switched connections to split

I would like to mult balanced signals to a monitor controller and separate VU meter on a patchbay that I am working on.

I can only work with what's been made available at the rear EDAC by the person who set up the PB, which is the non-switching signal pair and ground for the top patch points (outputs), and the switching signal pair, and non-switching signal pair and ground for the bottom points (inputs).

I thought to connect the non-switching signal pair of the monitor controller inputs to the switching signal pair of the VU meter inputs. That way whatever is normalled or patched to the monitor controller will by default mult to the VU meters, but with the option of patching an independent input into the meters. As if the monitor controller input was half-normalled to the VU meter input.

Have I missed any problems with this setup? Is there a better way to do it?
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear
If the VU meters are classic, passive analog meters they’ll add a little distortion to any circuit they’re paralleled with. This can be worse in transformer balanced matched impedance setups, but it exists in modern opamp ones as well. Buffered electronic meters shouldn’t cause this distortion.

Whether it’s a problem is up to you. A lot of classic recordings were made with this kind of setup.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
If the VU meters are classic, passive analog meters they’ll add a little distortion to any circuit they’re paralleled with. This can be worse in transformer balanced matched impedance setups, but it exists in modern opamp ones as well. Buffered electronic meters shouldn’t cause this distortion.

Whether it’s a problem is up to you. A lot of classic recordings were made with this kind of setup.
Great! I'm sure they are buffered.

Is there any issue with the meter input not seeing the signal grounds of either the source or the monitor controller input? And actually the monitor controller input won't see the signal ground of anything that's normalled to it as opposed to patched in.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcreature View Post
Great! I'm sure they are buffered.

Is there any issue with the meter input not seeing the signal grounds of either the source or the monitor controller input? And actually the monitor controller input won't see the signal ground of anything that's normalled to it as opposed to patched in.
Your post talked about signal pair and ground, implying a fully balanced system. In that case, lifting the ground shouldn’t affect signal or metering.
Some believe that all grounds should tie together anyway, and there’s a good chance many of them will link through rack rails and Edison ground.
But except for the case of phantom mics , ground is irrelevant to true balanced wiring.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Cheers Jay! I had a crisis of confidence because I thought that anything you don't see much in analogue studio setups must not be done for a good reason.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search