The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Highly Liquid UMR2 MIDI
Old 9th February 2020
Gear Head
Highly Liquid UMR2 MIDI

Hi all,

So I'm not sure how many people know about this piece of circuitry but it seems it's not sold in many places, but I'm wondering if there are other circuits similar to it that are pretty easy to get your hands on.

Basically, I am looking to retrofit MIDI simple MIDI IN/OUT into my Yamaha PortaSound despite it being better to spend my money on a keyboard that already has MIDI and uses the same FM chip(s). But hey, a bit of soldering and tweaking is fun to try on a cheap keyboard!

Have people had success with the Highly Liquid UMR2? If so, do you know places where I can reliably buy it? Or are there better alternatives in terms of circuitry that I could buy?

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've seen both the PCB with SMD pre-installed and fully built ones on Ebay so at this moment in time there are a few people selling them. I don't know of another website that may have them but I have seen them on and off on various sites.

Your Yamaha should be able to handle this kit, though I suppose it depends on what Portasound it is. Maybe dollar for dollar it's cheaper to find one but often these are priced higher specifically since it was modded.

I'm following this thread since I have an interest in adding midi to two old drum machines that don't have dedicated retrofits. My only requirement is that a midi kit handles cv triggers.

Can a GS member with setup experience chime in on how a UMR2 can be implemented? The documentation I have found presumes that the installer knows what these connections do and where they should go. The only thing that's unclear to me is how these matrix components work, namely:
  • what is and how do you use the select in?
  • how do you use X1-X2-X3?
  • how do you use data in/out?
  • do any of these get configured somewhere?
  • is PRGM only on that dedicated switch or is there a software interface method to configure as well?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Luckily, I've managed to get my hands on one as there's a seller on eBay that (for the time being) has the fully assembled boards in stock. I'm currently waiting for mine in the post. I read through the assembly guide and have bought all the parts as necessary since, you're right in saying, that it does work for my keyboard (there are photos on google images of people successfully implementing this little device in). Luckily, I do have some experience with soldering so adding in MIDI to my keyboard shouldn't be too hard. I somehow managed to grab one of the infographics as well from the original Highly Liquid forum which I'll be using.

Would people be interested in me documenting how I do?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search