The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help: Headsets into audio interfaces.
Old 9th February 2020
Here for the gear

Help: Headsets into audio interfaces.

Hey Slutz,

Please let me know if this is the wrong place to post this.

Trying to go Britney Spears and use a headset microphone straight into my audio interface for hands-free toplining.

I bought some headsets online but after some research as to why the headsets were not working, I figured out they all need plug-in power (3-5v).

So I bought an adapter that converts phantom to plug in power. It almost works. This is the adapter:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...514E694T&psc=1

The only thing that doesn't work is the headset when it's fully plugged in. When it's half plugged in it works (meaning maybe the adapter wants TS instead of TRS?). I'm confused because the adapter is balanced. The headset is also trs.

This is one of the headsets. The image shows that it's TS, but when it came it was trs:

https://www.amazon.ca/Head-Mounted-M...ZC3G2X0CWXN5KV

Any idea what a solution to this would be? Do I just need to find an ultra rare headset that is wired for TS? Is it just something solved with another adapter?

Thank you.
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear
The adapter you pointed to claims a TRS mini input. Don't be confused about the 'balanced' part... plug-in-power is unbalanced. The adapter is balanced OUTPUT, on the mono XLR.

Does your mic have a TS plug? If so, it's possible that plugging it all the way shorts one side of the adapter's mono input.

But if it works when half-plugged in, why not record that way? Your mouth is neither stereo nor balanced...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search