The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KRK Clicking Noise with PC but Now Mac Latop.. PLEASE HELP!
Old 29th January 2020
Here for the gear

KRK Clicking Noise with PC but Now Mac Latop.. PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone can help. I've searched the forum but couldn't find anything relating to the issue I'm having.

So I have a pair of KRK Rokit 6's which I've had for a while. They've been very well looked after and never taken any bumps etc.

So recently when playing music via my PC (Running Windows 10). During the bass when it hits I'm hearing clicking noises from both monitors. I rang a local store that sells pro audio gear and the guy who works on studio monitors said that the issue isn't the speakers. It's another type of interference.

To check if he was right I ran the Focusrite 2i2 to my MacBook Pro and just like that... No clicking noises and they work perfectly.

I cannot figure out what is causing them to click via my PC. I've researched and few forums/online posts mention changing the power settings. I tried that and it still didn't work. I recently set up dual monitor screens on my PC and I 'THINK' the issue started then.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this issue? It's driving me crazy! I can't figure out what is wrong. I've done the usual of changing the wires (didn't work). I've powered the speakers from a totally different power socket from the PC (didn't work). I've disconnected them from the KRK Sub (didn't work). Change couple power settings as mentioned from online posts (didn't work). Plugged the Scarlett 2i2 in different USB ports on my PC (didn't work).

If ANYONE can help that would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks,
ASChana
Old 30th January 2020

Sounds like a streaming or a power issue...

How many different USB ports did you try? Is there one on another controller available? Have you unplugged all the other USB devices?

Have you tried outputing to the interface from a different program?

-tINY

Old 30th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Sounds like a streaming or a power issue...

How many different USB ports did you try? Is there one on another controller available? Have you unplugged all the other USB devices?

Have you tried outputing to the interface from a different program?

-tINY

Thank you for your reply. I've tried all the USB ports on my PC. (sorry what do you mean by another controller?). Yes the only other USB device I have was the Bluetooth USB dongle for my keyboard and mouse (which again did not stop the issue).

Yes I have tried to playing music from normal Windows Player, YouTube, Cubase it doesn't matter which software or website the clicking continues.
Old 30th January 2020

So, the other thing it could be is drop-outs by loss of clock sync. Have you played with the latency and clock sources?

-tINY

Old 30th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

So, the other thing it could be is drop-outs by loss of clock sync. Have you played with the latency and clock sources?

-tINY

Once again thank you so much for your reply and willingness to help it's much appreciated. So I've not played with latency and the clock source is locked on Scarlett 2i2 Device Settings. I'm not sure how I can unlock and change the settings?

https://i.imgur.com/xqhkLL2.png

So yesterday I unplugged one of the dual monitors HDMI out and tried and the monitors started working fine! But today as they're both plugged into PC it's started again. I'm wondering if it's a power usage issue maybe?
Old 30th January 2020

Try changing the buffer size - that is the latency....

-tINY

Old 31st January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

Try changing the buffer size - that is the latency....

-tINY

Yep, tried that too. No luck. It's so strange I feel like it's due to the dual screen monitors that I've now got set up with my PC. As I mentioned I unplugged one of the monitors HDMI cable and it stopped the clicked but yesterday I tried the same thing again and the clicking continued. So I've narrowed it down to the fact it may have something to do with that...

Do you think it may be a power issue or a graphic's card? Maybe the graphic's card can't maintain the power? But if that was the case I would imagine the screens would lag but they don't.
Old 4th February 2020
Here for the gear

Update:

I just changed my Graphics Card that supports 2 HDMI ports as my previous was 1HDMI and 1 DVI. This still hasn't resolved the issue I've been having with the clicking.

LOOSING MY MIND! I have no idea what else to try or do!!! :-(
Old 4th February 2020
Here for the gear

https://ibb.co/47jRzpt

Just ran LatencyMon and have this... I've disabled the NetworkAdaptors and this didn't resolve the issue. Can anyone please help!!
Old 4th February 2020

You have a process running that's taking too much CPU time. Find out what's running in Task Manager....

-tINY

Old 5th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

You have a process running that's taking too much CPU time. Find out what's running in Task Manager....

-tINY

Once again thank you so much for the continued support/help. So I checked my task manager and killed off the top 3 software/processes running and it made no difference. Clicking/Crackling continues!

I've noticed 1 thing... it only starts cracking/popping every time there bass is being used. Not the treble. But as mentioned above when it's plugged into my MacBook... speakers run perfectly fine.
Old 6th February 2020

Bass triggers it... Usually that's a problem with headroom.

Are your bit-depths set properly? IE - you could be truncating 24 bits to 16 or 16 to 14 bits.....

-tINY

Old 6th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

Bass triggers it... Usually that's a problem with headroom.

Are your bit-depths set properly? IE - you could be truncating 24 bits to 16 or 16 to 14 bits...

-tINY

Do you mean this..?
https://ibb.co/bQSCkjn
Old 6th February 2020

That's the one. Try setting it for 16 bit / 44.1k or 16/48k.

-tINY

Old 9th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

That's the one. Try setting it for 16 bit / 44.1k or 16/48k.

-tINY

No luck :-(
Old 10th February 2020

Use your mac.....

-tINY

Old 10th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

Use your mac.....

-tINY

LOL, yeah that's the easiest solution but I'm determind to find out whats causing this issue on my PC
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASChana View Post
LOL, yeah that's the easiest solution but I'm determind to find out whats causing this issue on my PC
Isolate! Try a different interface for testing. Different cable. Get a USB card that will plug into a free slot on your motherboard (PCIe?). Try the speakers with your internal sound card. Try a different DAW. Try a different driver. Defeat your hard drive (if it’s an old OS). Check your system logs for errors.

Just be sure to only try one thing at a time!

Good luck, gremlins in your system are the worst. Gremlins being the scientific term of course...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search