The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peculiar Pattern in Tape Noise
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Peculiar Pattern in Tape Noise

Dear all,

when digitising some cassettes using a Tascam 122MKIII cassette deck, I noticed a peculiar pattern of the noise of the right channel. It appears once a tape is playing back.

I am attaching screenshots from iZotope RX 6 that visualize this:

1. Spectrogram view: playback of an empty cassette starts at 6.3 seconds into the recording. From then on there is a pattern of lines slightly visible above ca. 7kHz in the right (lower) channel.

2. Spectrum Analyzer: This shows the average of the tape noise playing. A pattern of what looks like some sort of overtones is visible in the right (blue) channel above ca. 3kHz.

The pattern only appears once a tape is playing back, and it appears with tapes from different manufacturers. So I guess that it comes from the components of the tape deck's right channel.

If anyone could point me towards the origin of such a pattern in the noise, I would be very grateful. I did perform a google search, but could not find information about why such a pattern would appear.

Thank you for your help,
Marian
Attached Thumbnails
Peculiar Pattern in Tape Noise-tape-noise-spectrogram.jpg   Peculiar Pattern in Tape Noise-tape-noise-spectrum-analyzer.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Does the noise appear in tapes that were previously known to be good?
How about when playing a bulk-erased tape?
How about when you play a newly recorded tape from Tascam on some other deck?

And if you’ve isolated it to Tascam playback... how about when Dolby is turned off? Yes, there’ll be more noise on your Dolby encoded tapes... but do the channels match; that is, does only one channel exhibit the strange “overtone”?

You can see where I’m going with this...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Dear Jay,

thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Does the noise appear in tapes that were previously known to be good?
Yes.

Quote:
How about when playing a bulk-erased tape?
The additional noise in the right channel is still there.

Quote:
How about when you play a newly recorded tape from Tascam on some other deck?
There is no additional noise in the right channel

Quote:
And if you’ve isolated it to Tascam playback... how about when Dolby is turned off?
The noise is still there.

Quote:
Yes, there’ll be more noise on your Dolby encoded tapes... but do the channels match; that is, does only one channel exhibit the strange “overtone”?
Only the right channel exhibits this strange noise resembling "overtones".

Attaching screenshots.

So my reasoning is that it has to do with the components in the electronics of the right channel in the playback mechanism.

Could it be a matter of calibrating something, or a part that is dying?

Thanks & all the best,
Marian

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search